Talk

Advanced search

HELP I think the ceiling is going to fall down any minute, no idea what to do

(16 Posts)
thesockmonsterofdoom Fri 24-Jul-09 10:54:42

there was A crack and now the plaster board looks like it is about to come down. argh

shonaspurtle Fri 24-Jul-09 10:56:59

If not looking like it's actually going to fall down in a minute maybe put sheets over stuff to save from plaster shower?

If actually imminent get out and shut door.

Who do you phone for ceilings? A joiner?

Sagacious Fri 24-Jul-09 10:57:21

Try and move anything heavy thats above you

Ditto anything thats beneath it

Don't stand underneath it

Um thats all I can think of other than an ingenious broomstick poking holding up thing (yet to be invented)

snice Fri 24-Jul-09 10:58:20

Has there been a leak?

Sagacious Fri 24-Jul-09 10:58:36

By above you I mean the room above (ie the ceiling's floor iykwim its unlikely but you don't want a wardbrobe crashing down 12 feet onto you

thesockmonsterofdoom Fri 24-Jul-09 10:59:04

cant work out what is above it, is attic room, which is massive, dd1's bedroom. not letting kids up therev again, they have been dancing, didnt think, crap.

snice Fri 24-Jul-09 10:59:07

sorry hit post too fast
cos if so drill a hole and let the water out

Sagacious Fri 24-Jul-09 10:59:58

If its just the plasterboard can you just nail it back up again ?

(Bear in mind there may be scary wires that you DO NOT WANT TO BANG THROUGH)

thesockmonsterofdoom Fri 24-Jul-09 11:02:21

argh, I think ikt is just the plaster board, no leak, deffo not nailing anything, should probably call someone, but who#?

hippipotamiHasLost49lbs Fri 24-Jul-09 11:05:24

I think it is unlikely the actual joists are going to cave in - hence a wardrobe landing on you is unlikely. But bouncing / dancing could have dislodged any nails / screws holding the plasterboard to the underside of the joists, so it is that you can see hanging down.
So I would clear the room underneath where the plasterboard is hanging down and you need someone to come and re-make your ceiling. (which I believe involves re-plasterboarding and then skimming with plaster)

nickschick Fri 24-Jul-09 11:06:50

If it falls it will go with a terrific bang and there will be lots of dirt and mess - spread old sheets over the floor and maybe ask a neighbour for advice?

(it can take ages to fall tho our stairs ceiling was terribly bowed and ready to fall for months and months and then one morning a huge thud like a car hitting the house and the ceiling dropped)

HerHonesty Fri 24-Jul-09 13:02:13

run!

thesockmonsterofdoom Sat 25-Jul-09 07:05:53

quick update, joiner came round (only tradesman I know) looked at it, 2 min jiob will come round tom and fix it back up, half an hour after he left, mid corrie BANG anyway everything is filthy, didnt even wake the kids up.

HerHonesty Sat 25-Jul-09 08:39:55

mid corrie!!! it could have waited till the end at least!

thesockmonsterofdoom Mon 27-Jul-09 08:54:09

I know, no consideration, although dh cleaned it all up while I watched corrie, so was a good excuse. grin

nickschick Mon 27-Jul-09 12:59:15

When ours fell down dh put his coat on and went to get the car from the garage where it was in for a service ....funny really a 10 minute round trip took him am hour and half angry the mess was awful I even found old style pop tins that went out of date in 1982 and the dirt was unbelievable.

Has the joiner come back grin?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now