Talk

Advanced search

would you buy a house with no garden (if you had a 5yr old and a 2yr old)

(43 Posts)
JackiePaper Wed 22-Jul-09 20:08:34

have seen a beautiful house, in the middle of the countryside, really lovely but it has no garden.
dh thinks we could manage but i'm not convinced. Would it be really difficult?

RorysRacingMa Wed 22-Jul-09 20:09:19

no

plimple Wed 22-Jul-09 20:10:03

I wouldn't, but I'm not you. Decide what you think is best and stand your ground!

LoveMyGirls Wed 22-Jul-09 20:10:27

I wouldn't.

No bbq's? No where for the dc's to play unless you take them out somewhere.

Of course your dh thinks you'll manage, because it won't be him having to do the managing will it? wink

whooosh Wed 22-Jul-09 20:12:01

Don't do it!

RealityIsGettingMarried Wed 22-Jul-09 20:14:10

Message withdrawn

ComeOVeneer Wed 22-Jul-09 20:14:46

NO

myredcardigan Wed 22-Jul-09 20:16:14

No way. I have a 5yr old, 3yr old and 1yr old and they spend almost all their free time in the garden.

But then I would choose smaller house+bigger garden over bigger house+smaller garden.

Gardens are so important at that age. Being close to a park is not the same as they can't just run out and safely explore and climb tress.

Yurtgirl Wed 22-Jul-09 20:18:17

No

VinoEsmeralda Wed 22-Jul-09 20:19:20

No, never ever, agree with redcardigan

Tambajam Wed 22-Jul-09 20:20:12

If it's in the middle of the countryside I would first investigate whether there's any adjoining land available to buy. Farmers may be up for selling a bit of field and you could create the dream garden.

I wouldn't do it otherwise.

JackiePaper Wed 22-Jul-09 20:23:36

yes you're all right aren't you.

this is the house.
buying a pice of field might be an option, how would i go about finding our who owns the land?

Fimbo Wed 22-Jul-09 20:29:33

It looks a lovely house, but is right on a road too?

Fimbo Wed 22-Jul-09 20:30:18

Is there anything you could do with the garage, as it says it is quite large, could you perhaps halve it to gain some ground?

Lilyloo Wed 22-Jul-09 20:32:02

I wouldn't we renovated a house which was lovely , but virtually no garden.
It irritated me when we were pre dc , afterwards we sold!
I wouldn't no

JackiePaper Wed 22-Jul-09 20:32:38

the road it fronts onto is private and only used to access 5 houses so that doesn't bother me really, not sure about the garage it's not clear on the details where it is. will go and have a look and maybe have a chat to the neighbours to see if they know who owns the field over the road

mrsjammi Wed 22-Jul-09 20:32:58

Message withdrawn

Yurtgirl Wed 22-Jul-09 20:33:15

I agree that is lovely - but that is in large part because of the gorgeous furniture etc in it atm - with my stuff it wouldnt look nearly so nice

I dont think that is a good buy for that price (well over twice what the average house in my area costs) plus no garden

Id keep hunting

HerHonesty Wed 22-Jul-09 20:35:49

is there any space opposite or around it? so, eg. my friend has small garden but lives opposite the most enormous village green, which is wonderful.

DONT buy a house thinking you may be able to buy some land. some friends did this and never managed to buy the land in question and ended up selling house for a loss because of lack of outside space.

JackiePaper Wed 22-Jul-09 20:37:21

the space around it is just fields and fields and more fields, so no playground or village green type thing. it's a no goer really isn't it.

francagoestohollywood Wed 22-Jul-09 20:41:19

Most people in most big cities manage without a garden! It is doable! Children go to the park and make friends.

I'd buy a house without a garden, yes grin

MaybeAfterBreakfast Wed 22-Jul-09 20:49:05

No!

HerHonesty Wed 22-Jul-09 20:49:40

but most people in big cities live in flats. even most city houses have some sort of usable outside space...

yes, jp, i sort of think it is. if it isnt space they can just tumble out into. sorry...

happywomble Wed 22-Jul-09 20:52:13

No don't buy it...it would be no fun for your children having no garden to let off steam in after school.

Surely it would be better to have a 3 bed house with a garden. I couldn't think of anything more frustrating than moving to the country and having no garden.

gomez Wed 22-Jul-09 20:54:57

Where is the private drive? How big? Could you gate that and use as outside space?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now