Talk

Advanced search

£200 per mth for a garden?

(9 Posts)
Bonnycat Wed 22-Jul-09 13:35:46

We currently live in a terraced house which is big but has no garden,only a tiny yard at the back.
we have a 6 month old son and would like a garden for him to play in.
We have done some sums as our fixed rate is due to drop soon and if we were to increase our mortgage to buy a house with a garden it would mean an increase in payments of £200 per month on what we would be paying when the rate drops.We could afford this but are not sure its worth it.
If you have a garden do you think its worth this amount of money ?

2jamsandwiches Wed 22-Jul-09 13:40:47

depends how big the garden is, what parks are near etc.
We have a big (for here) garden and I LOVE it. I can't think how else I'd spend £200/month to make such a difference to our lives.

Bonnycat Thu 23-Jul-09 08:34:48

Thankyou,
Anyone else have any thoughts?

jeanjeannie Thu 23-Jul-09 08:43:29

It's a lot - but what are your long term plans? Would it be inevitable that you moved eventually, for example if you had more LOs? It seems that now is a better time to move than 2 years ago - there are some deals to be had out there.

Personally I'd be lost without the garden and now my eldest is 2.7 I'd be climbing the walls if we were trapped inside. Then again, when I lived in central London on my own, i still bought a flat with a 60ft garden - so for me it's another room!

If you can afford it (comfortably) then I'd say it was always worth it.

Bonnycat Thu 23-Jul-09 10:15:00

We dont plan to have any more children.We have three large bedrooms ,one of which is done as a lovely big playroom.The other rooms are big too.The houses in our price range are 2 bed and generally smaller but we would be happy to lose some indoor space .We are torn as we love this house,if we could stick a garden on the back it would be perfect!

LadyOfWaffle Thu 23-Jul-09 10:17:38

I would definatly pay an extra 200 for a garden, definatly. It's so worth it.

OrphanAnnie Sun 26-Jul-09 00:08:42

Forget the children for a moment, do you love gardening ?
We have a huge garden with a massive play system in it for the children but we do resent all the work it involves and as soon as they are too old for the swings and slides we will move to a bigger house with a court yard and a few pot plants :-)

LyraSilvertongue Sun 26-Jul-09 00:15:48

Yes, definitely worth it. Your son will thank you for it (actually, he probably won't grin) when he's older and running around in it. Outdoor space is very important when you have young children imo.

kitkatqueen Sun 26-Jul-09 00:17:30

I have previously known people to buy parts of their neihbours gardens to increase their own. I have also known people to sell parts of their garden to make a bit of money and reduce the amount of outdoor work as they get older. Boundaries aren't set in stone iykwim. Have you considered this?

Personally I wouldn't be without my garden. Just looking out the window at it makes me feel better even when its totally cluttered with toys.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now