Talk

Advanced search

Faded reddish/brown laminate on floor, Can you strip it back?

(9 Posts)
faraday Tue 21-Jul-09 10:01:16

I guess the thing is I ASSUME that if the laminate is capable of fading, it's 'real wood' not a clever photo of wood embedded in plastic! I'm absolutely sure it's not proper wood planking (10 yr old estate house), though it doesn't click-clack as you walk across it.

This is in a house we haven't yet bought grin- they've put a conservatory on the back of the dining room but the dining room floor is quite badly sun faded from before, around the french windows. It's a darkish reddy-brown (not entirely my taste!) but we are wondering if there's any likelihood that we could strip it down and 'restain' it for uniformity or colour?

muddleduck Tue 21-Jul-09 10:57:24

afaik if it is laminate then you can't strip it. We bought a house with badely faded laminate and have ended up 'fixing' it with rugs smile

faraday Tue 21-Jul-09 11:01:07

Yes, I was wondering if it were possible. Would you say that what's happened is the 'photo' has faded?

somewhathorrified Tue 21-Jul-09 12:03:16

why don't you just replace the floor?

faraday Tue 21-Jul-09 13:00:05

Oz it's 42 m 2 in all!

faraday Tue 21-Jul-09 13:00:51

'Coz' I meant!!

LovingTheSunshine Tue 21-Jul-09 13:02:41

We looked at a house that had oak laminate flooring fitted less than 3 years ago & it is a type that can be stripped back. may be worth asking the vendors what type it is. Good luck

faraday Tue 21-Jul-09 16:28:11

Yes, I think that would be the solution! We were kind of hoping to find out before we fill the 2 areas with furniture and get the job done asap after buying but right now we don't want to appear TOO keen to the vendors for various reasons!

somewhathorrified Wed 22-Jul-09 14:54:17

Ok 42m 2 is a BIG area....if all else fails you could always buy a nice rug!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now