Talk

Advanced search

Can a single storey extention be built without having access from the neighbours garden?

(10 Posts)
ssd Tue 21-Jul-09 08:55:09

we live in a tiny terrace house, we desperately need some more space

am wanting to get built a single story extention, but elderly neighbour (who has had access to my garden for years to repair fence/garage etc angry) won't give us access for builders to get into her garden to pebbledash, do pointing etc etc.

can an extention be built from the inside out? how would it be water and wind proof?

any advice really appreciated!

ssd Tue 21-Jul-09 09:01:17

bump

ssd Tue 21-Jul-09 09:25:46

bump

MumHadEnough Tue 21-Jul-09 10:19:42

Hi SSD, I don't see why not. It just means you'll have builders traipsing through you rhouse though rather than around it iykwim.

If you are building from a timber kit, once they put up the frame, then they do wood stuff next, put windows and roof on, then insulation on the inside and a metallic insulation thing on the outside, thats it wind and water tight, before the bricks even go up. I was surprised at how quickly it happened.

What a miserable old sod your neighbour is. Not too sure though about pointing etc on the brickwork from the side that will meet your neighbours. It may be worth getting a builder out to talk to you and see how they would do it.

Our extension was built dually with our next door neighbour, in fact it was him who built it so thank God we had no problems like that. It also means it is one big extension the length of the two semis and looks so much nicer.

Make sure you get a builder who is recommended to you not just out the Yellow Pages.

Ripeberry Tue 21-Jul-09 10:26:41

Our neighbour had an extension built right next to our fence (no room for someone to get behind and i watched the builders build from the inside. They put a line of bricks up first and then the breeze blocks.
It can be done.
But you need to get planning permission and do you think your neighbour will put in a refusal?

Ripeberry Tue 21-Jul-09 10:28:35

They did the pointing as they went along. But of course there may be maintenance issues in the future, but the fence means that the weather does not even touch that wall anyway.

caykon Tue 21-Jul-09 10:34:21

yes it can be built overhand as they call it. My husband has just done this for us as we are building up to our neighbours existing extension. They start doing the outside skin of bricks, pointing up as they go, then put in the insulation and do the internal blockwork.
It is a bit more time consuming and fiddly but can easily be done.
Good luck with the extension and the mess!!

barbarapym Tue 21-Jul-09 10:39:54

Definitely - ours was done that way. Worst bit was bringing all the soil from the foundations out through the house, so be prepared for the mess.

ssd Tue 21-Jul-09 22:10:04

thanks for all replies

my neighbour is a right old cow, she will probably object, but I don't think she can stop it altogether

its the money side of it I'm worried about, how do you stop the builders going over budget? we haven't any spare money to play with

MollieOolala Tue 21-Jul-09 22:16:51

Re budget - you need to have a contingency. When we had our extension done we discovered that there was no dpc in the kitchen which meant extra work. Nothing to do with the builders deliberately going over budget, it was just something that couldn't be foreseen. Same as having our neighbour's gas pipe on our land although fortunately we got BG to sort that for free.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now