Talk

Advanced search

Wooden worksurfaces - I know it's been done but I'm confused....

(39 Posts)

How come some people have so much trouble with water marking etc etc and others say they can put hot cups of tea down and they are fine?!

I want wooden worksurfaces on an island unit. There will be a gas hob there (glass surface protector either side) but the work surface for the rest of the kitchen will be granite or corian. I am going to regret the wood?!

Doodle2u Sat 18-Jul-09 22:03:44

I think it depends on what it's been treated with.

Friends put in wooden surfaces and left a wet glass out one day - returned home to find a black ring, so friend's DH ended up sanding it down. PITA but have to say, the look of wooden surface in friend's kitchen is just plain gorgeous!

HerHonesty Sun 19-Jul-09 10:26:59

they look great but they need to be looked after. they do mark but as doodle says marks can be removed but not without some effort. not sure what you mean about glass surface protector? on top of the wood do you mean?

mrsmaidamess Sun 19-Jul-09 10:39:20

Water marks are not a problem if you ahve oiled and sanded your top properly beforehand. And make sure drops are wiped up atraight away.

My work top was installed a year ago and is just starting to look a bit tired so I will be sanding and oiling soon (whooppee doo)

kitsmummy Sun 19-Jul-09 20:54:53

wooden worktops are fine, i'm on my second lot in my second house. We go for maple each time, oiled with tung oil. Just don't go for them around the sink, it is a lot of hassle then.

cat64 Sun 19-Jul-09 21:04:49

Message withdrawn

noddyholder Sun 19-Jul-09 21:07:23

I have oiled oak and love them but I do maintain them and rub down with wire wool and re oil every nonth! It is worth it though

noddyholder Sun 19-Jul-09 21:08:37

Also there is a furniture polish called wood silk which I use now and again if I can't be bothered to do the full monty and it keeps the sink area mark free

cece Sun 19-Jul-09 21:10:45

Well I have my new Walnut worktop arriving on Thursday. I'll let you know. I am getting them from a company from Cornwall that is supposed to be good. The price was reasonable and for a small price they pre oil the worktops for you before delivery.

barncrest.co.uk

smile

nkf Sun 19-Jul-09 21:14:44

I think they look wonderful but have to be oiled.Too high maintenance for me but I do like the look.

noddyholder Sun 19-Jul-09 21:16:35

very therapeutic

MrsMcCluskey Sun 19-Jul-09 21:18:32

Ihave had bamboo for 18 months I have had no problems.
I oil about every 2 months - i enjoy doing it sad I know.
Ave no probs with water marks, they look fab.

noddyholder Sun 19-Jul-09 21:19:29

MrsM I will join you in the sad worktop oilers club grin

MrsMcCluskey Sun 19-Jul-09 21:26:56

i find it therapeutic - very sad club indeed [grin

MrsMcCluskey Sun 19-Jul-09 21:27:34

oops repeating you NH

treedelivery Sun 19-Jul-09 21:30:47

I love my wood! I tung oil every month, it takes 20 mins. They are so silky and warm and quite. <<sighs>>

DH often leaves a splatter, but with oiling it should all be ok. Once water does not form beads on contact - time to re oil.

Had ours nearly a year and all well.

MrsMcCluskey Sun 19-Jul-09 22:19:05

where do yuo get tung oil from?

treedelivery Sun 19-Jul-09 23:09:12

here is one but have a google about. Get a good amount, it's cheaper in the long run.

treedelivery Sun 19-Jul-09 23:11:39

Oh and I researched and researched and even went into forums where manly men talk about building and sanding etc.

Tung oil is the thing - all the others cause those men to suck in through their teeth. Linseed etc just not as waterproofing apparently.

HolyGuacamole Sun 19-Jul-09 23:20:54

noddyholder - do please tell me about this wood silk? Haven't seen it anywhere, is it just like a regular polish?

My worktops are varnished and it is meant to be matt but IMO it looks kind of shiny which I can't stand. Love the wood, but hate the finish. Am hoping to sand and oil later this year, any tips?

smile

HolyGuacamole Sun 19-Jul-09 23:25:04

Oh and can I ask a really stupid question about tung oil......it doesn't 'stain' or dye the wood does it? I don't want to change the colour, just protect it and retain the natural colour.

[thick as mince emoticon]

treedelivery Sun 19-Jul-09 23:32:35

No. It brings out the grain and makes the wood look less dry, and very healthy iyswim?

It just soaks in. You apply it is small amounts rubbed well in with a cotton cloth. Several thin layers is better than one thick one. A thick dose will just cause the grain to swell. You want the grain to soak up and be coated, but stay tight and compact = silky smooth.

The regime with new wood is to do both sides and all edges, every night for a week, then once fitted do all you can get at every week for a month, every month for a year - and then often as once a month ideally but less will be ok. During that first week if you wire wool [very finest wire wool] between applications the wood will come up to a silky sheen. Beautiful - depending on your taste.

Just look out for the water not beading when its on the wood.

KristinaM Sun 19-Jul-09 23:37:06

i have elm worktop on my island. its varnished and very easy to maintain, no oiling. we've had it for 18 montsh now and it looks fine.

we have no hob on it, just a small prep sink

i have 3 small children so very busy kitchen

photos on my profile

HolyScrotum Sun 19-Jul-09 23:40:31

HolyGuacamole smile

treedelivery Sun 19-Jul-09 23:41:35

sniff, Yeah, your worktops, they're ok I guess.

<<gasps>>

Kitchen, yeah, s'ok I suppose. If you like all that Aga and French door business.

<<whispers - have you checked out that kitchen!?!?!?!?>>

<<drools on worktop - wipes it off>>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now