Talk

Advanced search

Upstairs Laundry....?

(17 Posts)
kif Fri 17-Jul-09 20:03:56

My builder laughed at me when I broached the idea of an upstairs laundry cupboard.... He said the washing machine would leak and I'd have water cascading through my house.

... but I've just googled, and the yanks seem to promote it as a selling feature to have the laundry upstairs.

And the ozzies seem to think that it's disgusting to have a washing machine in a kitchen. Their forums reckon that at least a laundry 'cupboard' - if not a separate laundry room - is essential.

Has anyone done a laundry cupboard (upstairs or downstairs)?

Am neither yank nor ozzie - have very small london house - but don't really like laundry in the kitchen.

CarGirl Fri 17-Jul-09 20:05:40

it's the norm in Europe, but my electician said it's a no go in this country to comply with electical safety in case of leak.

Doesn't stop you doing it though.

CarGirl Fri 17-Jul-09 20:06:26

it's madness though because if you live in a flat you are above someone else?

I would do it if there were room in my bathroom.

LuluMaman Fri 17-Jul-09 20:07:59

i have my washing machine and tumble dryer upstairs

it has leaked a couple of times, but apart from having to repaint the kitchen ceiling, no problem

makes far more sense to me to have the laundry stuff upstairs where you get undressed upstairs

it was origionally the loo, so not a massive room, but enough for the two machiens, a couple of shelves and room for a basket in front of the machine

missblythe Fri 17-Jul-09 20:09:50

Couple of houses I've looked at have had an upstairs laundry room. Makes perfect sense to me-why carry all your dirty clothes downstairs to wash them, and then back up again when clean to put them away?

I do have a laundry cupboard, but it's downstairs, adjacent to the kitchen. I love it, and would never have the washer in the kitchen again.

LuluMaman Fri 17-Jul-09 20:10:38

got the idea from one of my parents friends who had their laundry cupboard upstairs next to the bathroom, 20 odd years ago.

Mintyy Fri 17-Jul-09 20:13:02

I would absolutely ask for this if I were having my house done up. True, washing machines can leak. But I have owned washing machines for 21 years now, no leaks so far ...

[touch wood grin].

genieg Fri 17-Jul-09 20:24:40

Isn't it annoying though to have to keep running upstairs to do the changeover when daytime life is mainly downstairs and does it disturb at night (am always realising I need something for the next day and washing late at night) ?

Interested as we do have an odd-shaped room next to the bathroom which could work and have been pondering.

HerHonesty Fri 17-Jul-09 20:25:24

yes i have thought about this, and my parents have one ...

BUT

someone did point out to me that if they are near to bedrooms it might disturb sleep (oh so precious sleep in my case) and the fact they are not on a ground floor means the noise can reverberate much more.

my sister has a laundry cupboard at the far end of her open plan kitchen diner, double doors, dryer on top of wm, other dd has all the other utility stuff, works v well.

woodenchair Fri 17-Jul-09 20:25:45

It's a great idea and something i want when we eventually build.

Stinkyfeet Fri 17-Jul-09 20:28:32

But surely then you would have to lug a basket full of wet washing downstairs to hang it out.

LuluMaman Fri 17-Jul-09 20:33:15

i do one wash a day on average and use tumble drier for towels only.

i use the 45 minute or 60 minute wash cycle, so more than enough time to get the wsahing done, tumbled if needed and hung up whilst doing supper, then bathing DCs etc

tvfriend Fri 17-Jul-09 20:39:21

We have upstairs room with washing machine and dryer. (2nd floor). Was there when we moved in. Works quite well and has never leaked. (I turn the water off before we go on holiday etc.)The room ends up as a sort of laudry basket but at least it's out of sight. Always raining so don't end up lugging it downstairs much to hang out...

tvfriend Fri 17-Jul-09 20:40:15

ps- it's right next door to DD's bedroom but never disturbs her

bettyjack Fri 17-Jul-09 21:05:34

We are renovating and this is want my hubby wanted. All the pipes are in ready to go. So much better than downstairs for the reasons said above.

Also more room in your kitchen for cupboards or recylcing bins etc.

EyePeam Fri 17-Jul-09 21:09:51

had an upstairs laundry cupboard when I lived in Bermuda (quite American influence). was great - but did limit late night washes. also I used the drier all the time as too humid to hang washing to dry outside. if you have room upstairs and it would be helpful to have more room freed up in the kitchen, I'd go for it.

Jux Fri 17-Jul-09 21:16:02

We are going to move our washing m/c and drier upstairs this year (I hope). Makes far more sense. There's much more room up there, we get undressed up there, the iron and board are up there etc etc etc. The only reason to have it on the ground floor is because it is nearer to the washing line, but given our weather, how often do you get to use your washing line (if you even have one)?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now