Talk

Advanced search

Is it true that some removal firms will unpack as well as pack? How?!?

(9 Posts)
Elibean Mon 13-Jul-09 13:24:08

I'm sure I remember someone saying Pickfords packed and unpacked for them, which sounds like bliss - just can't imagine how they can unpack, given all the decisions to be made in putting-away!

Did it mean, maybe, just taking things out of boxes? Or, putting beds together, plumbing in equipment, etc?

I'm looking for all possible ways to reduce stress and panic of move a week after holidays, a few days before term starts hmm

Hi Elibean, any news on the exchange? We STILL haven't sad angry <screams>
I know some firms will re-assemble anything they have to dis-assemble eg beds etc, not sure about unpacking though.
I have heard (from a couple of reliable sources) that Pickfords now employ temporary crews to work for them, they aren't even their own staff. Apparently they aren't the company they used to be <disclaimer...this is just an opinion!> I'd look elsewhere for a removal company. Good luck!

HerHonesty Mon 13-Jul-09 15:57:50

hello. yes they can basically do what you want them to. so when we moved and i was 36 weeks pregnant they unpacked boxes, moved full ones, put together beds and moved furniture to other places. they will plumb in machines but it is always at your own risk.

we paid a day rate on top of the overall removal charge.

jujumaman Tue 14-Jul-09 21:38:46

Oh hi, EB, having a random browse didn't expect to stumble across you!

I know a v rich couple in our locality who move every two years or so and always get everything packed and unpacked down to the last teaspoon. Can ask them who they use. It won't be cheap though wink

Yorky Tue 14-Jul-09 22:17:21

As a military family we are entitled to a full pack/unpack every time we move (about once a week it feels atm!) but as you say, working out where everything is going to go takes ages so we normally just get them to unpack the breakables then work through the rest eventually

LIZS Wed 15-Jul-09 11:32:42

Unless you supervise the packing and labnelling, to box up items by where they are going to end up it becomes very frustrating . For books which will be returning to same bookcase for example it is fine, However I ended up sending our unpackers away as it didn't seem that simple and we had to redo much of what they started.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Wed 15-Jul-09 11:35:00

Ours didn't really unpack but they put the big things that needed to go in the shed and garage in there, put upstairs stuff upstairs and took the clothes off the rails and put them in the wardrobe.

onelittletreasure Fri 17-Jul-09 05:15:38

Yes, this is true. We've had it done when we moved in here (company called Whittles) when I was 6 months pregnant. Word of warning though, it can take them HOURS to do this and of course you will need to supervise! They were still here at 9pm and in the end I had to get DH to ask them to leave so I could go to bed!!!

Elibean Fri 17-Jul-09 12:49:04

Sorry, taken ages to get back blush

Thanks for all the advice and experiences, that really helps! I think we'll have them pack, then just do a bit of re-building beds etc and putting clothes away sounds wonderful....don't suppose they entertain small children too, by any chance? wink

Juju, if you see them, do ask - I can always get a quote, faint, and find someone else! Thanks.

Librarian, yes, we're moving ahead again..but so slowly it feels like watching paint dry. Our buyer is now waiting for a final piece of paperwork, on the advice of his (to my mind) hugely pedantic solicitor - so we could end up exchanging whilst on holiday, or juts before, or just after! I can't believe you still haven't either - well, I can, of course - any reason?? Hope it moves on for you soon!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now