Talk

Advanced search

Fireplace or woodburning stove? Which would you have?

(23 Posts)

I love the look of the woodburning stove but do you get that cosy feeling like you do with a fireplace, not sure I can imagine snuggling up in front of it on Christmas eve to read that last story to dc before Christmas <provides bucket to vomit in> grin
Can you leave the front open so you can see the flames?

brimfull Sun 12-Jul-09 19:08:36

woodburner
fireplaces mean dirt and tidying up ime,and all the heat goes up the chimney

I want to replace our fireplace with a woodbuner but apparently it's too small

doggiesayswoof Sun 12-Jul-09 19:09:38

Stove all the way. Ours is fab.

You can see he flames throygh th glass. And it;s so cosy, also more controllable and etfficient than an open fire

sorry ds helping

Seeing the flames through the glass doesn't seem as cosy as looking at an open fire but I know what ggirl means about the mess - also our room had a slightly sooty feel to it with an open fire!

doggiesayswoof Sun 12-Jul-09 19:11:28

ggirl ours was too small too, we had to get it enlarged - quite a big job.

doggiesayswoof Sun 12-Jul-09 19:13:09

IKWYM but you can still do some good fire-gazing.

What is too small, the chimney or the opening in the wall where it would stand?

LOL DSW - it is mesmerising <swirly hypnotised eyes>

nkf Sun 12-Jul-09 19:14:07

What is there at teh moment? I love fireplaces but if there is just a gap, then a woodburner is good.

Oh, atm is a vomit inducing seventies electric fire, not sure what is behind - 'tis in house we are thinking of buying.

othersideofthefence Sun 12-Jul-09 19:26:31

I am very lucky and we have both. The woodburner is much more efficient in terms of heat, but I have to admit I love the open fire.
If you need it for heat go for a woodburner with a glass door.
If it is for ambience have a lovely open fire.

daisydotandgertie Sun 12-Jul-09 19:26:55

Wood-burner, no question. We have one which burns constantly from late September to May (v cold sitting room).

It is v fuel efficient, can be run with doors open or closed (and has a spark guard as an optional extra). The best bit for me is that we don't have to worry about sparks, cleaning up is quite straightforward and it very rarely needs lighting.

Def the best of both worlds - mesmerising flames and a door to close them in when you leave the room/house.

I love her so much, I'm thinking of giving her a name blush!

HumphreyCobbler Sun 12-Jul-09 19:31:04

get a woodburner that has a self cleaning glass system, it is great. Otherwise you end up looking at a load of black stuff instead of flames

LOL Daisysmile How does the spark guard work? Can you link to a pic of your make of stove?

Othersideofthefence - do you ever have the door of the woodburner open?

WynkenBlynkenandNod Sun 12-Jul-09 19:32:00

Woodburner without a doubt, they are great.

Self cleaning glass... <imagines teeny internal windscreen wipers> how does that work?!

daisydotandgertie Sun 12-Jul-09 20:07:29

She's here...

The self cleaning glass is a technology beyond my comprehension. They say it involves some sort of airflow. It does seem to work quite well even though I don't understand it!

The spark guard clips on to the hole in the front of the stove when the doors are open and forms a sort of mesh screen to keep the sparks in. We don't often use it when the doors are open tbh, only when we've got some especially sappy wood.

Also, in a vaguely slutty way I often use the overnight heat to dry laundry. It gets draped over a clothes horse last thing at night and is always dry by morning.

HerHonesty Sun 12-Jul-09 21:20:33

ha ha i loved your post. MIL last christmas gave me the most horrible blanket with which, in her own words, to wrap my daughter in and read Christmas stories to on Christmas" well to be honest its so horrible it should be vomitted on...and i mean where on earth am i supposed to store said blanket in the meantime and remember to get it out intime for bloody bedtime stories... rant over.

anyway.. i digress. woodburning stoves are really not as atmospheric but they are much easier and efficient and you might find yourself using it more than a fireplace, so in the long run... more bucket moments!!

funnypeculiar Sun 12-Jul-09 21:29:15

Woodburners need a big fireplace - there are lots of regs about the amount of clear space you need behind/to sides as well as a large hearth in front. The efficiency difference is amazing though.

We've ended up with an open fire because our fireplace wasn't big enough. We don't use it all that often due to mess/faff/need to 'police', but it's still lovely at Christmas smile

Katymac Sun 12-Jul-09 21:35:29

Clearview are a fab make but a bit pricey

I love my woodburner - I had one that heated the hot water & I ot a bigger one & it now heats the whole house

greenbeanie Mon 13-Jul-09 08:14:14

Go for a wood burner if you can they are far more efficient. If you are replacing a gas fire with an open fire you will find that the regulations won't let you as you are not allowed to replace a heat source with anything that is less efficient.

An open fire is about the least efficient form of heating you can get as it draws air from the rest of the house to burn. But they are lovely to sit in front of.

OOOh Daisy, she's a beauty smile

Greenbeanie - what regs? At the moment it is an electric fire but it is just stuck in front of the opening of a proper fireplace.

GrendelsMum Mon 13-Jul-09 12:22:10

An open fire is essentially a large hole in your nice centrally heated house. Is that really what you want? I don't even find them pleasant to sit in front of, because of the drafts they create as the air is sucked through the house and chucked out of the chimney.

We have an open fire and a woodburning stove, and the open fire is for the chop a.s.a.p.

Having lived in houses which have at times been heated by wood alone, I can tell you that woodburners can actually heat a room to modern standards - a fire can make a room not actually freezing cold in patches.

There's no comparison - it has to be a woodburner!

BUT, before you buy one, you need to consider whether you have enough room to store the wood. They go through a lot of wood, and if you're going for a cleanburn stove, you should really be burning properly aged wood - which means that either you make sure you only buy dried seasoned wood (and send it back if it isn't), or you get your wood a year in advance and store it for a year to season it, which is cheaper / totally free but you then are effectively storing two years worth of wood in your garden at once.

You should also check how much heat output you need.

We currently have a Euroheat Stanford 80. We're thinking of buying something a bit different for the new stove, though, just because of the shape of the fireplace.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now