Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

New bathroom - two questions - one about tiles, one about bath taps and showers

(5 Posts)
spicemonster Sat 11-Jul-09 17:37:44

Question 1 - Tiles. At the moment, the tiles in my bathroom go up to the top of the shower above 3 side of the bath and then are about shoulder height behind the sink and loo (which are along one wall). The other wall just has a radiator on it and is untiled. Question is - when I redo the bathroom (which is going to be tiled in travertine), is it alright if I just put tiles where they are currently? Or do you think I need to tile it right up to the ceiling? It's going to double the price of the tiles but I don't know if those really big tiles look odd if you stop halfway up the wall.

Question 2 - Bath taps/shower mixers. This is probably a bit thick but all the bath taps with showers seem to have showers which are clearly designed to be used for handheld only, rather than put on a stick on the wall as they have tiny heads. So can you just unscrew those and replace with a bigger showerhead (which seems a bit of a waste) or can you get the taps with just the fitting for the shower? I'm in the basement so pressure is fine so don't need a separate shower.

Tinker Sat 11-Jul-09 17:51:23

Not sure what is teh "right" thing to do re tiles but I think some wall is nice so you can change teh colour.

My old house had one of teh telephone type bath tap/shower things with a thing on the wall to rest it in. I suppose it might have been a smallish head (?) but it was a great shower so think the pressure is more important.

spicemonster Sat 11-Jul-09 18:33:11

Thanks Tinker - that is a very good point re the redecorating. Also I think that an entirely indoor bathroom (which mine is) might feel a bit like it should be a wet room if the tiles go right up the walls.

I have found some taps now with a decent shower too. The ones I was looking at have really small heads seriously - like the size of a mobile phone which just doesn't seem right to me.

HerHonesty Sat 11-Jul-09 20:44:44

basically tiling where there are already tiles is fine, tiling where there arent tiles is fine, but not tiling where there have been tiles will probably entail replastering - so you should be fine. personally with big modern tiles would go all the way up but keep some wall for a paint colour like you have at the mo.

spicemonster Sat 11-Jul-09 22:13:44

Thanks HerHonesty - that's a good point. There is some odd high tiling in one place where I don't want it but it's only about 1 square metre (and I'm going to have a 80x60 mirror over most of it) but I guess I will have to have it plastered under there.

Gosh there's so much to think of it's a bit scary

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now