Talk

Advanced search

Can a bathroom be put above a kitchen - drainage question

(11 Posts)
IlanaK Wed 08-Jul-09 21:32:46

Can you put a bathroom above an existing kitchen and route the plumbing/sewerage to join the kitchen one? Or does bathroom waste go to a seperate place?

Hope this makes sense!

EdwardBitMe Wed 08-Jul-09 21:34:35

Our bathroom is above the kitchen ans shares a waste pipe. No problems.

cece Sat 11-Jul-09 11:27:04

Thinking about it most people I know the bathroom is above the kitchen.

NorbertDentressangle Sat 11-Jul-09 11:29:21

Yes, there should be no problem with this -in fact the nearer a kitchen and bathroom are, the better, as it avoids having to put drainage and water pipes all over the house and the external drains will already be in the right area.

IlanaK Sat 11-Jul-09 20:05:15

Excellent - thanks everyone.

duckyfuzz Sat 11-Jul-09 20:09:00

we have a bathroom above our kitchen, all plumbing joins as you suggest

SoupDragon Sat 11-Jul-09 20:14:32

The waste from the toilet may have to go into the drains under the house by a separate route.

HerHonesty Sat 11-Jul-09 20:39:16

which plan did you go with ilanak?

IlanaK Sat 11-Jul-09 20:46:47

Thanks for remembering! The plan I went with in the end was not one suggested by anyone on here A relative suggested for me. So, the plan is on my profile still I think - shower room to be put at the back of the largest bedroom. Space behind shower room to be a large walk in closet accessed from the second bedroom. Pipes to come up from kitchen into second bedroom. Second bedroom currently has lots of wardrobes dowb one wall hiding fireplace. Take these out to add space to that room. Bring pipes up near fireplace and hide their run with a built in bookacse thing or box them in. They will run into the new closet which could have a raised floor if need to hide them and then into the back of the shower room. To increase size of small bedroom, move connecting wall further into the second bedroom. Use redundant corrider next to large bedrrom as a walk in closet accessed from that room by adding a partion wall at the end of it. Result: three more balanced sized bedrooms, good storage space, nice shower room centrally accessed from landing/hallway. Ta da!

Now all we need is for our offer to be accepted!

HerHonesty Sat 11-Jul-09 20:50:07

she should become a mumsnet consultant!

IlanaK Sat 11-Jul-09 20:56:16

It's my step mother actually, and she is incredible at things like this. She sees what others don't and then you say "why didn't I think of that!"

I am just crossing fingers that we get our offer accepted. And of course I am dreading the work actually being done.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now