Talk

Advanced search

Low sheen wipeable child friendly paint??

(9 Posts)
navyeyelasH Wed 08-Jul-09 00:20:48

I need paint to go in my kitchen. Floor is slate, units are gloss white, with a lime green splash back and oak worktops.

Should we go for white walls and ceilings do you think? The kitchen is open plan so we aren't bothered about getting a kitchen paint (is this wrong?) but I really hate the shiny paint you can get.

What paints are low sheen but still quite child friendly?

TIA - need to get paint tomorrow; think I left this one a bit late! <crosses fingers>

navyeyelasH Wed 08-Jul-09 10:48:04

bump for morning crowd

missblythe Wed 08-Jul-09 10:54:06

We have Dulux Endurance paint in our kitchen. It's not at all shiny (I know exactly what you mean) but I can scrub at with a pot scourer ( we still have the occasional wax-crayon on the wall incident) and the colour still stays put. You can have any of the Dulux colours mixed up in the Endurance paint, so lots of choice.

If you do all-white walls, do you think it may look a little stark? Could you do just one wall a different colour? Either limey green again, or a completely different colour?

navyeyelasH Wed 08-Jul-09 10:58:53

I am picture mad and the kitchen is open plan with a playroon so lots of colourful toys will be out on floor to ceiling storage. So I was thinking of just using colour through accessories? But good idea about doing a feature wall I do have a wall I can put a bit of colour on which would look good.

What do you think about skirting boards - won't they look silly with slate?

Dalrymps Wed 08-Jul-09 11:00:11

We have dulux paint in our lounge that is wipable. It's matt, no shiny at all. It usually has a symbol on the Dulux tins that says something like 'wipe clean'.

CarGirl Wed 08-Jul-09 11:00:14

dulux diamond is supposed to be scrubbable too

missblythe Wed 08-Jul-09 11:03:47

If you are going to put lots of pics up, I would def paint one wall a colour. We've just had our all-white sitting room painted a mushroomy colour, and our pictures look so much better now-it makes all the colours really 'pop'.

I think not having skirting would look v. odd and unfinished TBH.

navyeyelasH Wed 08-Jul-09 21:04:11

Thanks all went for dulux endurance in the end - so excited! Still not sure about skirting? Wont it look naff with tiles?

missblythe Thu 09-Jul-09 07:54:02

Well, we have big black and white checkerboardstyle tiles in our kitch, and the skirting looks fine-looks fab, in fact.

This is my house here:

http://www.homes-on-line.com/southglamorgan/jeff-hopkins.460/fullagent/f460a0240.htm

Y ou can't really see the skirting in the pics, but you can see the style we have gone for-quite contemporary blah blah-and the skirting really doesn't look odd at all.

If you don't have skirting, what will the join between the wall and the floor be? It will need to be VERY neat to avoid looking unfinished.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now