Talk

Advanced search

Window restrictors

(10 Posts)
LovingTheSunshine Mon 06-Jul-09 19:17:48

Does anybody have window restrictors on their windows, for security reasons or to stop children opening them too far? I posted on a different thread about a bungalow (not your typical old fogey bungalow I'd like to add wink ) we have seen but I am majorly concerned about security & intruders accessing the house through the windows. At night time in summer we like to sleep with our bedroom open too & obviously during the day if it is stifling indoors I want to have the option of opening some windows. Are window restrictors fail safe or can they still be prised open? Thanks

LovingTheSunshine Mon 06-Jul-09 22:05:32

Bumpty bump

LovingTheSunshine Tue 07-Jul-09 21:26:51

Final bumpty bump....anyone?

EldonAve Tue 07-Jul-09 21:29:58

We have sash stops (from Banham I think)

PrettyCandles Tue 07-Jul-09 21:36:24

How secure they are depends very much on the type of restrictor, but most of the add-on ones (as opposed to the built-in sort) will not be very secure. On a hinged window they won;t withstand a crowbar, for example.

bodiddly Tue 07-Jul-09 21:42:25

there is usually a button that you can press to release the restrictors and open the window properly - so no I don't think it is safe for them on the ground floor.

LovingTheSunshine Tue 07-Jul-09 21:43:46

Ok, thanks everyone...I guess the bungalow is a definite no no then.

fruitshootsandheaves Tue 07-Jul-09 21:52:51

We have ones that are a chain and a lock. We put them on when the children were tiny to stop them opening a window and falling out. they open a couple of inches but to open them fully you have to use the key to release a metal catch.

fruitshootsandheaves Tue 07-Jul-09 21:54:22

ours are like this

ChristieF Tue 14-Jul-09 14:18:44

They are vital if you have small kids and upstairs windows that open fully. My cousin was handicapped in the sixties after bouncing on his bed and falling out of the window onto concrete. I don't think anything could stop a determined burglar (watch Beat the Burglar on TV) but most burglaries are on the spur of the moment. Bungalow windows are a worry. Have you thought about modern windows which have an air vent built into the frame which you can flip open? They also open slightly and then you can lock them with a key. To be honest a burglar could just break a window if they were that keen but double glazed windows are much harder to break. You need a pointed object and to aim into a corner of the glass.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now