Talk

Advanced search

aga running costs

(10 Posts)
HerHonesty Mon 06-Jul-09 18:01:18

any idea how much monthly cost for running a gas aga is - not heating hot water?

thanks in advance

HerHonesty Tue 07-Jul-09 11:31:23

bump?

scaryteacher Tue 07-Jul-09 14:58:44

No idea about gas - my Stanley cost £60 per month all year round in oil, doing cooking, central heating and hot water.

jujumaman Tue 14-Jul-09 21:36:14

We have a gas aga and the repair man told me when he last came that it costs £30 a week shock

I love our aga but the expense is scary

blowninonabreeze Tue 14-Jul-09 21:38:55

let me just get my bills out!

MitchyInge Tue 14-Jul-09 21:41:59

my mum pays something like £700 a month for solid fuel for her aga and various inefficient little stoves around the house, but will not buy an electric kettle because 'they use too much electricity'

blowninonabreeze Tue 14-Jul-09 21:44:36

we have a 4 oven gas aga (approx 5 years old - new not reconditioned)

No other gas appliances in the house (aside from a gas fire thats switched on on christmas morning only!) Central heating is oil - so all our gas bill is aga costs.

From 28th July 2008 to 27 Jan 2009 gas bill £250.70. (so £50 a month)

Plus service (costs about £120 annually)

When we moved into the house npower but us onto the direct debit for the average family of 4 for gas - I explained we'd only be using it for the aga and she said see how it goes and we can adjust it. We haven't had it adjusted blush

blowninonabreeze Tue 14-Jul-09 21:45:30

That said - I rarely heat the living areas in our house (frantically trying to justify cost)

cissycharlton Tue 14-Jul-09 21:46:30

You can now get electric agas which run on economy 7 (night-time) electric which is a lot cheaper.

I've also heard that you can get some device fitted to older agas which make them a lot more efficient.

jujumaman Wed 15-Jul-09 10:38:32

I don't use a kettle or toaster and have no dryer, dry clothes on and around Aga - that slightly helps justify the cost but it's still a lot. We inherited it, not sure I would buy a new one though the electric models are clearly trying to address the problem

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now