Talk

Advanced search

Loft conversion- what to do about those 'W' shaped roof supports?

(6 Posts)
faraday Mon 06-Jul-09 08:25:02

10 year old house we're looking at to buy. We had a look into the loft space and it has- well, if not W shaped frames, perhaps M shaped ones running the length of the roof space. What do loft conversion companies do to them to make a room out of it (yes, the roof line IS high enough!). DO they replace them or some with like RSJs or whatever those roof load supporting beams are?

Curious, really!

Housemum Tue 07-Jul-09 00:09:27

Not sure but we had a 1990s house with that sort of roof and have had the loft converted - try calling a local loft company to ask what makes a loft unsuitable to convert, so that you know it is feasible.

Granny23 Tue 07-Jul-09 01:03:51

Proceed with care. Many new houses have the roof trusses calculated to be the smallest possible to cut costs while still supporting the roof. Are there any identical houses in the area which obviously have loft conversions? i.e. can you see big windows up there? If it is possible you would expect that someone has done it if the houses have been there 10 years.

faraday Tue 07-Jul-09 08:21:21

Actually there is an identical one a few doors away with what appears to be a conversion! There is a small round window in the brick end and 4 velux windows in the roof.

I'm wondering if they had to 'gut' the loft space or even effectively reroof it to get the space!

IF we succeed in buying this property I may knock on their door and ask!

Any more suggestions or thoughts welcome!

noddyholder Tue 07-Jul-09 08:24:30

You need a structural engineer as to take those out you need to support the roof fully by an alternative method.If there is another identical house then it is likely to be possible.

MoonchildNo6 Wed 08-Jul-09 15:20:15

You will need a structural engineer. Most things are possible but it's how much it costs against the value of the extra space.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now