Talk

Advanced search

My Bastard Shower...

(6 Posts)
lljkk Sun 05-Jul-09 12:32:07

Upstairs shower doesn't turn off -- after many trouble-free years it did this first time about 9 months ago. Plumber said it was a valve inside that had got stuck open, probably because of some grit in the water supply. Grit is keeping valve in open position. Valve is sealed unit, cannot be cleaned out, only replaced at a cost of ~50 quid.

Plumber replaced the valve, it worked fine for few days, then problem Happened Again angry. After months, lengthly consultation with plumber, we sieved the loft tank thoroughly for black plastic bits and anything else that shouldn't be in there, replaced valve again 2 months ago.

And yesterday, the problem Happened Again angry angry.

What do we do, now? Is the plumber mis-diagnosing the problem? His explanation makes sense, and he asked around to verify what he though, he SEEMS like a competent nice guy. He says we'll get the same problem with a different shower model.

AAACCCK, I don't know what to do.

goldenpeach Sun 05-Jul-09 19:19:50

Have you contacted the manufacturer? Sometimes products have quirks that only manufacturers know, for instance our boiler has a sensitive pressure gauge and the plumber couldn't understand why it would not start, but since the manufacturer explained this 'fault' we just give it more water to keep it going.

lljkk Sun 05-Jul-09 19:24:56

That's a good suggestion, g-peach.

goldenpeach Sun 05-Jul-09 19:30:34

Suggestion was born out of annoying experience. We are renting so it took ages to get somebody out and then they couldn't fix it... Obviously it was freezing and landlady offered heaters after a few days. It took ages to work it out!

goldenpeach Sun 05-Jul-09 19:35:29

I wonder if it is a triton shower. I've just remembered renting this flat where the shower was aggravating and the man from triton came (was still in guarantee) and had to change a valve to make it work properly again - he explained to me that the valve inside was too big and couldn't cope.

lljkk Mon 06-Jul-09 11:41:09

Yes it is a TRiton! More I think about it, though, I'm sure that Plumber did consult them about it.
Boohoo, .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now