Advanced search

can i buy my mums council house for her?

(8 Posts)
vovon Thu 02-Jul-09 17:30:05

Can anyone advise me please?
I want to know if I can buy my mothers council house which she has lived in for 30 years. Do i have to live with her to do this.

ilovemydogandmrobama Thu 02-Jul-09 17:31:59

I don't know, but would you put it in her name or your name?

Suggestion: put this in legal/money matters smile

LIZS Thu 02-Jul-09 17:36:47

Depends on the terms of the scheme but usually you have to be resident.

geogteach Thu 02-Jul-09 17:44:02

My dad bought my grandmothers for her so yes but don't know the details.

Tamarto Thu 02-Jul-09 17:44:43

I think you have to be the lease holder.

OldLadyKnowsNothing Thu 02-Jul-09 18:56:58

You can pay for the house, but it'll have to be in your mum's name - and if it needs to be sold to pay for her care when she's older, you'll lose it.

Think carefully.

expatinscotland Thu 02-Jul-09 19:06:28

some councils have also placed a moratorium on right to buy, and apparently, they have to power to do this even to existing tenants, so double check.

and yes, it has to be in her name because not everyone in government is an idiot and they realise people would do this for their parents in order to get hold of a property on the cheap and get the state to pay for all the elder care.

another reason why i'd never buy an ex-council house.

trixymalixy Thu 02-Jul-09 19:07:11

My friends did this. they paid for it but the house was in her Mum's name. I think she then sold or transferred it to them a couple of years later or something like that. Sorry don't know the full details, I suggest you get some legal advice

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: