Talk

Advanced search

Anyone used film to obscure glass or who would like to help me make my mind up?

(14 Posts)
DaisymooSteiner Thu 02-Jul-09 11:40:29

We're in the middle of building work (OMG, the dust, the noise, the sweating half-naked men) and about to turn what was a bedroom into a bathroom. I don't really want to replace the window, but it does need to be obscured in some way as you can see in from the garden and our neighbours' gardens, so I was thinking of using some of that film that obscures the glass. Has anybody used it, or could recommend somewhere to buy it?

I'm torn between getting some plain film which just makes the glass look misted, or getting the reflective stuff so you can see out, but not in. Or maybe the patterned stuff would be better? We've got so many decisions to make at the moment (I think I've had to make about 5 already this morning!) that I could do with some help....

wilbur Thu 02-Jul-09 11:45:28

We have used plain film in a number of places in our house and I love it - it works really well. We got some on the roll from The Window Film company to do the lower half of our front sash windows and we had a piece cut adn small circle cut out in a line at the bottom for the lower half of our bathroom window - like your,m used to be a bedroom and looks out over neighbours garden. We found it easy to fit - you have to really, really follow instructions, do not cut any corners, and then it will go well, and they supplied a little flattening thing that got rid of any bubbles in the film. Highly recommend it, saved a fortune, looks v smart and gives us loads of light.

trixymalixy Thu 02-Jul-09 13:21:26

We have used plain film to obscure the bottom half of a sash window in our bathroom.

It looks pretty good and wasn't very expensive. i think we just got it in B&Q.

Rubyrubyrubyinthegame Thu 02-Jul-09 13:24:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Fizzylemonade Thu 02-Jul-09 13:37:57

Did my already obscured glass bathroom window with plain film as I didn't want a blind and wanted to just give it something extra than the obscured swirly glass.

Bought it on a roll, it is very easy to fit but if you can have someone to help you then do.

Bought if from here www.abodewindowfilms.co.uk

You spray the glass with water mixed with a bit of washing up liquid (they give you the exact quantities with the film) stick the window film right side to the window, whilst it is held up there you peel off the backing so the sticky side is exposed and is facing you.

Then you spray the sticky side facing you with the mixture (soak it) and then you carefully remove it from the window and turn it round (this is where it is nice to have help although I didn't) and you put the sticky side on the glass.

Smooth it out, and I bought a straight edge thing from them for about £3, it came with a squeegee. Make sure your stanley knife has a new blade to make the cut crisp.

Dead easy. Abode were the cheapest as I only needed 90cm drop and 57cm wide.

HerHonesty Thu 02-Jul-09 16:34:06

we used the frosted stuff from brume, looks great. tried for ages to find the reflective stuff with no joy but if you do, pleaasee post..

DaisymooSteiner Thu 02-Jul-09 18:18:44

Thanks all. Think I will probably go for the frosted stuff then, maybe with a pattern.

HerHonesty - the reflective stuff can be bought here

serenity Thu 02-Jul-09 18:39:10

We've got the IKEA version on our (ground floor flat) kitchen window. Even when it's dark outside, and the light's on, you can't see inside and it let's in more light during the day than blinds or nets did.

Amorf Frost £1.95 for 150x50cm

shouldbeironing Thu 02-Jul-09 18:48:53

we got some stuff from Homebase for our front door - why on earth do people have completely clear glass in a front door? Put it up as a temporary measure when we moved in and many years later its still doing the job just fine!

DaisymooSteiner Thu 02-Jul-09 20:39:29

Well, I didn't know Ikea did a version! I have a very long list of things to get from there, so I may as well add that as it looks very cheap!

user1485447782 Thu 26-Jan-17 16:30:51

I used Abode Window Films, I wouldn't use them again as the finish on on of the widows looks like a zebra coat (pachy) and thats after a year I am hoping the others in the house do not go the same way !!!

littlestar34 Thu 26-Jan-17 16:46:05

We used a frosted one on some glass panes in our fitted wardrobes so you couldn't see the mess inside. Hubbie did it and he said it was easy peasy to fit. Got it on a roll from B&Q I think.

PigletJohn Thu 26-Jan-17 17:09:30

Zombie thread....

Dowser Fri 27-Jan-17 12:45:18

We have a floral patterned glass in bathroom that you can see into ( bungalow).
Also had a bit of a condensation problem in winter.
Read about bubble wrap. Put a piece on about 7 years ago with the intention of removing it in summer. It's still there. No condensation, no peeping toms!
All for a couple of squid!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now