Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Has anybody sown their own LAWN? (not roll out turf)

(14 Posts)
QuintessentialShadow Sat 27-Jun-09 21:56:52

I have 100 square meters of ready levelled top soil. Now I have to sow my seeds. How do I do it?

I have spent the entire day making my topsoil nice and flat and ready raked. I am knackered.

Please give me strenght to go out and SOW!!!

CMOTdibbler Sat 27-Jun-09 22:00:38

We just chucked seed so that it looked even, and then a thin layer of soil over the top. We've then just chucked more seed at areas that looked a bit bare

QuintessentialShadow Sat 27-Jun-09 22:01:22

How long from you put seeds till you see grass starting to appear?

PigeonPie Sat 27-Jun-09 22:05:43

We did it pre DCs but not that big a lawn - good luck!

We marked out the area into squares with string and pegs so that it was easier to sow and then kept the string there and tied flappy bits onto it to try to deter the birds.

We used a smallish pot to measure out and sprinkle the seed into the squares so that it was reasonably even.

Hope it goes ok - you might need to add some more seed later in the autumn as the birds might get quite a bit.

We DH has found it easier to keep on top of the weeds even now because you can spot them more easily in a new lawn. Ours does need aerating and sanding now, but we're still pleased we did it.

It is really exciting to see it all grow.

Good luck grin

catinthehat2 Sat 27-Jun-09 22:07:41

Water. You need water every day until they sprout.
When sowing grass I usually wait until the westher is goign to be rainy fpr a few days and do it then, saves effort.

All the wet followed by a bit of brighter weather can see it all sprouting in 3/4/5 days.

QuintessentialShadow Sat 27-Jun-09 22:10:06

thanks.
It is grey now. The weatherforecast says sunny till tuesday, though, it also says it should be sunny now....

My hose will just reach. However, I am due to go on holiday in two weeks, so I really want to have it settled before we go!

catinthehat2 Sat 27-Jun-09 22:27:19

Q I think you're going to have to water it big time.
Also I would be really worried about getting it sprouting and then abandoning it to a heat wave.
Can't you leave it bare till you come back? Also the inevitable little weed seeds will have germinatd by then and you can hoe them out without murdering your new grass.

biffandchip Sun 28-Jun-09 00:05:10

I remember reading somewhere that the best months to seed were April and September, don't know what the science behind that is tho!

catinthehat2 Sun 28-Jun-09 08:28:41

BiffandChip
I think its because those months have adequate warmth, rain and light, without the risk of killer drying heat. I guess if the weed seeds will germinate, that's the time to put out the grass seeds

(By the way, and it's nothing personal, your name chilled me to the very bone. Pure fear.)

ABetaDad Sun 28-Jun-09 08:41:10

Agree with catinthehat2* - you wil need a huge amount of watering to establish the lawn at this time of year. Typically, laying a lawn is best done in late April/early May when the growing season starts but days are still not too hot and plenty of gentle rain.

I suspect both an early morning watering and late evening watering every day will be necessary with a very fine gently mist to stop puddling.

QuintessentialShadow Sun 28-Jun-09 08:50:30

I am across the polar circle. We have a window of opportunity in June, early July. The frost usually leaves the ground by midsummer. Anything sown or planted after 10th july stand little chance of surviving winter. Sadly, no chance of a heatwave here! Though I am hoping to experiencing a little of that on holiday! grin

PDR Sun 28-Jun-09 09:07:13

We just chucked a load of seed and bobs your uncle! Did take a while to grow though but possbily due to lack of rain?

Make sure you water it in if it doesn't rain soon...

Nothing to it TBH - I am the opposite of green fingered and our grass looks great!

HerHonesty Sun 28-Jun-09 10:12:34

water water water.....

QuintessentialShadow Mon 29-Jun-09 09:10:24

Update!
I started out yesterday. I raked, rolled with heavy road works roller, and then used a heavy plank to make it more even.

Spread the seeds, spread some soil over it, and rolled again. 1/8 of "lawn" done....

wuhei, only 7 parts more to go.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now