Talk

Advanced search

Is £2k reasonable to repave a 2 car drive?

(26 Posts)
StarlightMcKenzie Sat 27-Jun-09 16:49:44

Message withdrawn

MoChan Sat 27-Jun-09 17:04:51

We had our two car drive block paved and it was a wee bit more than £2k, I think. The only cheaper option seemed to be concrete.

Fizzylemonade Sat 27-Jun-09 22:18:18

Block paving would be at the very least £2k or more round here (Yorkshire)

Most people I know who have had their drives done have paid about £4k or more.

StarlightMcKenzie Sun 28-Jun-09 14:48:23

Message withdrawn

StarlightMcKenzie Sun 28-Jun-09 14:49:04

Message withdrawn

CantSleepWontSleep Sun 28-Jun-09 14:54:35

Sounds like a good price.

Did you consider imprinted concrete instead though? Can make it look like whatever you like, but with no danger of weeds growing up through it - brilliant if you want something ultra low maintenance.

StarlightMcKenzie Sun 28-Jun-09 14:57:59

Message withdrawn

StarlightMcKenzie Sun 28-Jun-09 14:59:18

Message withdrawn

coolkat Sun 28-Jun-09 15:04:37

Starlight use a reputable company. Round here we had a company <travellers which I have no problem with> come in and made a major hit on the town offering cheap block paving etc and at the time they looked good but less than a year later they look awful, weeds coming through but more importantly all sunken where you park your car. Luckily we did not have it done. 2k sounds V cheap.

StarlightMcKenzie Sun 28-Jun-09 15:13:02

Message withdrawn

coolkat Sun 28-Jun-09 15:33:19

My DH would love a new drive too as ours bugs him, must be man thing! Just thought I'd tell you what I knew which wasn't alot LOL!

Enjoy your new drive!

CantSleepWontSleep Sun 28-Jun-09 19:36:38

Prob not any cheaper, but not necess any more expensive. Can't really compare ours (done last year) as we had a huge area done, which cost around £20k, but this site has lots of pics to show you what it can be like.

StarlightMcKenzie Sun 28-Jun-09 19:40:26

Message withdrawn

CantSleepWontSleep Sun 28-Jun-09 19:45:39

grin
We had patio done too, so we've been enjoying sitting out on it, whilst dd has been enjoying cycling on it.

QuintessentialShadow Sun 28-Jun-09 19:48:12

Can you just level it, put nice edging, and a nice good quality gravel? Should be a lot cheaper.

CantSleepWontSleep Sun 28-Jun-09 19:51:05

Ho ho ho quint! Starlight has a young baby. Driveway full of gravel = baby eating gravel and handfuls of the stuff brought into the house. :bitter experience:

StarlightMcKenzie Sun 28-Jun-09 20:03:23

Message withdrawn

QuintessentialShadow Sun 28-Jun-09 20:39:52

Ah, see I had young babies and gravel, never had any problems.

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 29-Jun-09 11:24:32

Message withdrawn

CantSleepWontSleep Mon 29-Jun-09 11:29:50

grin Afraid that your dh is right on that one!

DaisymooSteiner Mon 29-Jun-09 11:51:42

Although probably better than a grumpy face grin

QuintessentialShadow Mon 29-Jun-09 12:02:39

Did you agree before hand that you should pay in cash?

Paying cash usually means that they are doing it "under the table", so to speak. They are not invoicing you, they dont charge you vat, and they are not declaring the sale of the service, and wont have to pay any vat themselves. IF they are vat registered that is....

Have they finnished the job? Dont part with cash before they job is complete!

Bricks/slabs vary in price, does the price reflect the cost of bricks, or just the labour? Ie, will you have to pay the bricks/slabs on top?

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 29-Jun-09 12:22:35

Message withdrawn

Pannacotta Mon 29-Jun-09 13:59:26

I think it sounds a bit too cheap, the price woudl concern me...

I speak from experience as a brick weave drive was put down here before we moved in. Was done very badly and may have caused subsidence. It did cause flooding in the garage as well as flooding in the house as they piled the extra soil on top of a rainwater gulley, smashing it so all teh rain last summer went into the soil and then throught the walls, this wasnt discovered until we took teh drive up and replaced with gravel.

Personally I think gravel looks much better and is also better for security.

You did know that the bricks need to be permeable to allow rainwater to drain away?

thisisyesterday Mon 29-Jun-09 14:07:29

that sounds very cheap to me! we've just done ours ourselves and the paving alone came to just under £1500!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now