Talk

Advanced search

Want to hire someone to find us a home...

(14 Posts)
LovingTheSunshine Sat 27-Jun-09 12:57:27

I am absolutely cheesed off & stressed to the hills with finding us a house. We sold our house in May & offered on a house a couple of weeks later but sadly didn't get it as the OP are in rented (we have a small chain as our buyers are in rented). We feel like we have been looking for a house for a aaaaages, although we only decided to pur ours on the market this year. I live in a highly desirable area where properties are selling for the asking price & going quickly. We have a good budget of £500,000 but for the area it still doesn't get you a dream house. I was wondering if there are any people/companies who look for houses for a living? I am on rightmove daily & in regular contact with the EA to see if anythign is coming to market, but TBH I am so stressed with it all I am in tears whenever we watch a property programme. I already have high BP so this house unting lark is really not good for me. Anyone any ideas? Thanks.

bodiddly Sat 27-Jun-09 13:03:36

whereabouts are you?

slackrunner Sat 27-Jun-09 13:07:03

Phil Spencer's company (Garrington Home Finders)?

Garrington

slackrunner Sat 27-Jun-09 13:09:05

PS - LOS - I feel your pain. We are being outbid on anything we go for. I am addicted to RM - 'My name is slackrunner and I haven't looked at RM for....erm...27mins'.

whereeverIlaymyhat Sat 27-Jun-09 13:15:19

Garrington went bust didn't it ?
Don't pay somebody to do something you can do yourself.
For example my DH paid an executive firm that has lots of contacts to find unadvertised jobs last year, £3.5k he paid and all he's had so far is some tips on his CV angry we're now suffering from even higher blood pressure because he still hasn't got a job and we're £3.5k down.
They say they will keep looking until they find something - house or job but what's the betting you find something first.

LIZS Sat 27-Jun-09 13:22:19

I too thought Garrington had gone into receivership back in February. There are relocation agents who will do searches for you for a fee - I know of one in the Hants/Surrey area for example, but judging by your expectation that may not be where you are.

LIZS Sat 27-Jun-09 13:23:41

List here

slackrunner Sat 27-Jun-09 13:39:00

I am inclined to agree with laymyhat. I just forked out for an ad in the local paper to try and find us a rental property to bridge us over - a big fat de nada of a response so far. £40 down the tubes. Durrr.

Keep the faith LTS - it will come good

LovingTheSunshine Sat 27-Jun-09 18:11:38

Hi everyone
I am in Hertford we really want to stay here or move to one of the surrounding villages & if you look here you will see there is nothing half decent on the market atm. The problem with Hertford is there are amply 2 bed cottages but fewer 3+ bedroom properties so everyone who is moving up the property ladder is after the bigger houses & you pay a huge premium. If anyone can find me a hosue I will gladly buy you a magnum of champagne
Good luck to everyone else in the same boat - you have my empathy.

bodiddly Sat 27-Jun-09 18:14:41

Not a million miles away from me then LovingTheSunshine ... what do you need in terms of space/garden/bedrooms etc? Modern or older property ... ready to move in to straightaway or with work to do? Have you seen anything that you can link to that you like?

whereeverIlaymyhat Sat 27-Jun-09 18:35:49

I'd be looking in the £600 - £700k bracket on rightmove and then when you find one you like do some research into when they bought and for how much and start making some offers.
If it's been sat on the market for 6 months then £500k would not be unreasonable at all and Herts will be hit as hard as everywhere else.

FatGirlThin Sat 27-Jun-09 18:40:50

You need to go to property bee - once you register (free) with them then when you go on right move it gives you the history on a property ie what it was on for, any changes in the advertisement/drop in price etc etc

It's a very good site.

LovingTheSunshine Sat 27-Jun-09 19:40:28

Where abouts are you bodiddly? We would ideally like at least 3 double bedrooms, 2 reception rooms, a hallway, decent sized garden & off-street parking. We are open to consider everything but I would like the property to be appealing to the eye (& the neighbouring houses) as I want to feel proud of my home when I park each night. There is nothing really on the market that appeals, I love the look of this house but it is rather small & no off-street parking. Plus I do not want to walk staright into the front room off the street (as we do that in our cottage & I am craving a hall. The hosue we offered on (but didn't get) ticked all of our boxes & the EA said it is proceeding so I doubt it will come back onto the market - can't link to it as it sold before it got to market.
whereeverIlaymyhat - I'd be really surprised if anyone in Hertford would accept £500,000 for a house with an asking price of £600,000 plus. DH really likes this house & I also think it is very nice but doubt we'd get it for £500,000 as an identical house sold in that Manor for £565,000 last month. But we will keep an eye on it & if it is still on the market another month or two we consider viewing.
FatGirlThin, yes I use property bee & agree it is fab!
Thanks all

LovingTheSunshine Tue 30-Jun-09 21:31:36

I have decided not to hire anyone, would be a waste of money really seeing as I already know all of the properties in my area that are for sale. If Garrington Home Finders were still running I may have opted for them seeing as it is owned by Phil. Still no houses for us atm, sigh

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now