Talk

Advanced search

How much in today's cllimate?

(8 Posts)
Haribosmummy Fri 26-Jun-09 20:48:54

If you were given the chance to put an offer in on a house which ticks all the boxes, how much would you offer... knowing...

1. it was bought in 2006 for £550K
2. It's had between £150k - £200K spent on it
3. It's in reasonable shape (nothing needs to be replaced / no issues etc)

What is it likely to be worth in today's climate?

Thanks, HM

Rindercella Fri 26-Jun-09 20:50:56

Gut instinct - £575k would be my first offer. What's it on the market for?

Haribosmummy Fri 26-Jun-09 21:46:10

Thanks... It's not actually on the market, but I'm guessing the owners are looking for £900K+.

That's what they feel the house is worth.

Rindercella Fri 26-Jun-09 21:49:54

ooh blush I'd be a bit of a disappointment to them then!! Lol.

<is this your house you're considering selling?>

slackrunner Fri 26-Jun-09 21:55:05

I think it would have to be something really special to make money in the current environment. We bought in '04, have just sold, and have lost half the money that we spent doing it up....<ouch>.

Haribosmummy Fri 26-Jun-09 22:03:15

grin

No, it's a house I'm considering buying (well, I might consider buying it)

It's nothing special by any stretch of the imagination, but it does tick all of our 'requirement' boxes, IYSWIM.

I do agree with you that it would seem the price should be closer to £600K than £900K. But not sure how I'd go around getting a 'proper' valuation as it's not on the market with an agent.

NoseyHelen Fri 26-Jun-09 22:12:13

If this is a private sale I would expect that an independant valuation would be sensible - costs about £200-300.

Rindercella Fri 26-Jun-09 22:18:39

Phew grin Would hate to have upset you HM!

Yep, I would say get an independent valuation done. The thing is, in the current market it matters not a jot what you paid/spent on the house. All that matters is what someone is prepared to pay for it. I know we would not get back what we have spent on our house, bought in 2006. We'd be hard pressed to get the original purchase price back, let alone the cost of the extension and other work we have had done.

Good luck smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now