Talk

Advanced search

Should I buy a house near a petrol station?

(15 Posts)
mrshippy Fri 26-Jun-09 00:46:49

So, we have the mortgage and have found a perfect and vecant house, only 3 years old. Walking distance from a big park, shops and a fab school. House is vacent so we can potentially be in in time for DS1 to start full time in Sept. But....an Enviro-survay came back today and flagged up the proximity of a petrol station (90m away) and two garages (60 &150 m away). Doesn't seem noisy and there is trees and houses acting as a blocker. Have heard some bad stuff about being close to petrol stations and being a bit of a hippy, tree-hugger type I find myself slightly put off. Would this bother you?

mrshippy Fri 26-Jun-09 01:05:58

Sorry for the multitude of spelling errors - combination of sticky keys and the fact that I am terrible at spelling anyway!

ninedragons Fri 26-Jun-09 02:29:34

To be perfectly honest, if the house is otherwise perfect I wouldn't let that bother me.

My grandparents used to live much closer to a petrol station (probably about 50m as the crow flies, but with trees and houses in between, as you say). It actually blew up one night and it didn't even affect the houses directly across the road, let alone theirs.

mrshippy Fri 26-Jun-09 08:11:46

Bet it woke them up though!

expatinscotland Fri 26-Jun-09 08:15:44

I was once married to a guy who used to sample the water, soil and air in disused petrol garages and car garages for surveyence/property purposes.

There's no way I'd ever live near one, tbh.

ilovesprouts Fri 26-Jun-09 08:16:20

my sisters house in skeggie, was over the back of a petrol station ,she had no probs

sarah293 Fri 26-Jun-09 08:22:55

Message withdrawn

BecauseImWorthIt Fri 26-Jun-09 08:24:58

It depends - if it has a TEsco Express (or equivalent) attached to it, or if it's a 24 hour garage, it could be really busy. Our local Esso/Tesco Express is open 24 hours a day and it's very busy - especially on Sundays - so lots of people and cars around.

If I were you I'd go and visit it at different times of day/night to try and assess traffic levels

Mybox Fri 26-Jun-09 08:25:54

Wouldn't see this as a problem

LIZS Fri 26-Jun-09 08:30:25

We lived near a roundbaout, in the middle of which started off as a petrol station then became a mini Sainsbury's. It was fine tbh and handy ! Main issue was it never seemed quite dark as the illuminated signage was on 24hrs. Also a small garage workshop nearby backing onto the other end of our street.

mrshippy Fri 26-Jun-09 08:38:42

Luckily we can only see the tops of the buildings. The land we are on is higher and most of it is blocked by other houses and trees. May go there during rush hour though - good idea.

expatinscotland - the housing estate was built in 2006 - do you know if they would of had to test the soil then?

mrshippy Fri 26-Jun-09 08:54:30

Aslo Expat, do you know how far away from a petrol station that the soil can be effected. The house is between 90-100 m away and I think the ground is a bit higher.

mrshippy Fri 26-Jun-09 10:25:56

Maybe I should arrange for a soil test?

lalalonglegs Fri 26-Jun-09 13:39:02

I think it is extremely unlikely you will need a soil test.

FuriousGeorge Fri 26-Jun-09 16:14:11

The only thing that would bother me is boy racers with their stereos thumping as they queued for petrol,and the 'beep-beep-this vehicle is reversing'from vans & hgvs.Would drive me crackers,but might not bother other people.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now