Talk

Advanced search

Deep breath having a mini panic attack! Do you have kitchen floor units opposite each other?

(17 Posts)
navyeyelasH Wed 24-Jun-09 22:33:07

If so how big is the gap between the units? My gap seems insanely small and I'm scared as the kitchen is being fitted in 5 days!

Please don't tell me there has been a cock up sad

Doozle Wed 24-Jun-09 22:35:49

Yes we do have them opposite eachother We have a gap of about 1.6 metres, I think

How big is your gap?

noddyholder Wed 24-Jun-09 22:36:10

How much gap is there? Are the units conventional 60cm depth? Also drawers and doors or some open?

mrsmaidamess Wed 24-Jun-09 22:38:42

Have you measured it out with newspaper on the floor?
Can you walk through the middle of the kitchen with both sets of doors open, or comfortably bend down in front of one set to get stuff out?

DontCallMeBaby Wed 24-Jun-09 22:45:43

1.3m between mine. There is only one 60cm wide door, and that's opposite the cooker ... even if it were opposite another 60cm door of course they wouldn't quite clash, but it'd be fairly close. It's pretty tight when the dishwasher door is open, especially if DD is rollerskating at the time. hmm

navyeyelasH Wed 24-Jun-09 22:50:03

I think the gap is 1.1m - have done the measurements with paper just used a tape measure and panicked!

The thing is when we moved in there were units opposite each other and it didn't seem cramped but now I'm worried. Does that sound small to anyone else?

We have a mixture of drawers and cupboards.

Doozle Wed 24-Jun-09 22:54:04

navyeyelash, when we were planning our kitchen, we were told you need a least a metre between an island and the opposite units.

So your units should open fine on their own but I'm not that you will get both opposite doors open at the same time.

If you are just replacing the old units with same size ones, and it didn't feel cramped before, it should be fine?

mrsmaidamess Wed 24-Jun-09 22:55:30

Can you have open shelving in the units on one side so its not so enclosed with so many doors?

navyeyelasH Wed 24-Jun-09 22:55:50

We have 3 60cm doors, for appliances; they are all on the same row IYSWIM so leaves a 41cm gap.

navyeyelasH Wed 24-Jun-09 23:04:53

doozle that had made me a bit less panicky! Just had visions of a galley kitchen and panicked big style.

mrsmaidamess don't think we can o that as we need the storage really as we opted for no wall units.

Kitchen plan is here. It's quite open plan so hopefully will feel spacious despite the narrow gap?

Doozle Wed 24-Jun-09 23:16:01

Looks great! And very open too. Where are you getting it from by the way?

Looks like you had it all planned out by a kitchen company or designer so am sure they would have highlighted it as a problem if they thought it was an issue.

Are you doing your whole house up? We spoke the other day on your bathroom thread.

LyraSilvertongue Wed 24-Jun-09 23:19:07

We have an L-shaped kitchen and part of it has units facing each other. To get over the small gap problem we have deep units on one side and shallow units on the other. Is this an option for you?

LyraSilvertongue Wed 24-Jun-09 23:20:19

Just seen your link. Looks good to me.

navyeyelasH Wed 24-Jun-09 23:26:13

It's from Wickes, it's the Inverness kitchen we got it in the sale with 50% off with some free appliances and a free tap so I'm very chuffed. Hence my mini meltdown, I'm normally not the type to go lala over a kitchen, but affording everything has been very hard!

"Are you doing your whole house up?"

<humourless laugh>. That was my Kitchen floor at 6pm this evening, the stuff on the floor is the ceiling! We bought our first home and in order to afford somewhere in the area we wanted we bought a wreck and it's being totally gutted. By my DP.

The kitchen ceiling is the last thing we are pulling down though; from now on it's only things going up which is good news after 6 weeks on living on a building site!

Doozle Wed 24-Jun-09 23:29:08

Ah, I feel your pain. It's so stressful doing up a place.

I thought your units looked familiar. We so nearly got the exact same one! The Inverness is very nice.

navyeyelasH Wed 24-Jun-09 23:32:23

I was in love with the inverness ones for weeks and weeks but the budget wouldn't stretch to it so had resigned myself to ikea. Then suddenly wickes had a 50% off sale so you can imagine how happy I was!

Are you currently doing up your home then doozle? Apart from the dut which is impossible to clean I think it's not too bad. Although I do wish we had more money to throw at it to move things along faster!

Bathroom is nearly done though which is good, just have to paint and accessories it!

I'm off to bed in a bit btw incase you think I'm being rude!

Doozle Wed 24-Jun-09 23:38:29

I'll bet you were happy! The wickes kitchens are good quality too.

Well, we bought a house that needed some work and did up the kitchen last year, completely gutted it, knocked walls through etc. Was painful living without a kitchen for so long - especially with a toddler in tow. But so worth it in the end. You'll love it when it's all finished.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now