Advanced search

My buyers pulled out on the day of exchange

(36 Posts)
Rox73 Wed 24-Jun-09 12:00:50

Just to warn you that this is a venting message and a "why is the house buying/selling process SO incredibly difficult" message.

We accepted an offer from our buyers back in March. We were told that they were cash buyers and would be flexible on dates as we had not seen any houses we wanted to buy and didn't want to move into rented accomodation as we have 2 young children. After accepting a low ball offer based on that information (10% below asking), we were subsequently told that they were equity buyers but that their sale would go through independently. Once we had found a house to purchase we were then told that they were going to enforce a chain (i.e. tie their sale with our purchase).

Then we start haggling over fitures and fittings. They had assumed everything (including audio/visual equipment - i.e. speakers, amps, etc) was included. A bitter round of arguments ensued.

We were then 2 weeks away from exchange when they decided that they didn't like the completion date (it was too close to their holiday) so wanted the date brought forward. This almost jeopardised the chain but the people we were buying from agreed to move out earlier.

Then yesterday when all was in place to exchange on both the sale and purchase, our buyers pulled out. The wife "had changed her mind" and they are now going to live with her parents.

I don't know who I'm more angry with. The buyers or the inept agents who failed to do proper due diligence in the first place. When I spoke to them about the misrepresentation they said "things change". Actually I do know. I hate the buyers and I think the agents are idiots.

Why is this sort of carry on allowed to happen?

InfiniteSheldon Sun 19-Feb-17 17:18:26

HIP packs didn't make much difference did they. This thread is ten years old and nothing has changed much has it

wowfudge Sun 19-Feb-17 14:54:49

It doesn't matter it's an old thread to Lema though. What a painful situation. I suspect the buyer is blaming the EA instead of being honest - would he really have paid his deposit monies to his solicitor if he hadn't signed the paperwork ready to exchange? I don't think that stacks up and there's likely to be something else behind his change of mind.

It makes sense that the solicitor tells you as your solicitor is the one in contact with the buyer's solicitor and they are the ones who really know what is going on.

Spickle Sun 19-Feb-17 13:26:12

Lema83 this is an old thread.

Lema83 Sun 19-Feb-17 13:05:35

Hey... I feel ur anger! Exactly the same happened to us.
Our stupid buyer sent the deposit but never signed to exchange sad
Apparently he suddenly felt pushed into it even though he wasn't happy.
We never asked him to hurry or not delay exchange, my stupid agent did.
And when she got the solicitors email that he's pulling out she didn't even have the decency to call me and tell me. Instead she asked my solicitor to tell me.

I'm so angry this all happened just 4 days ago. I could kill right now!
Anyhow my seller doesn't know anything and he thinks we will exchange coming Tuesday 😩
We r hoping another buyer would show up by tomorrow, fingers crossed.
I think agents r so useless!
Things would be so much easier if buyer n seller could communicate directly.
Who knows what agents and solicitor hide from both sides.

Anyhow good luck and don't give up hope!

Nothing7 Tue 02-Jul-13 16:00:34

Hey I've had exactly the same thing happen to me orangeandemons, happened last week again days before exhange. Buyers decided they didn't want to live in the area anymore and it took 8 weeks to work that out...! We took longer than that to find the house we were due to be buying which now looks like it will fall through as we have until Friday to sort something out and no viewers yet! I feel absolutely sick and as the time passes it gets worse!!! We've spent money on solicitors and mortgage applications too so set to lose over £500. When we accepted the offer we had another offer the following day which obviously as we'd accepted one we honored their offer!! The people who offered haven't found anywhere yet but were contacted a week ago and were "mulling" things over and situations had changed therefore they were now wondering if they would buy to let for now, but since we've heard nothing since last Tuesday I would imagine that door is closed.
I am worried sick about losing the house we took so long to find, especially as we put an offer in the day it went on the market (didn't even get on RM) and the people before us who put in an offer also did same day (they failed to get the mortgage which is why we were able to offer). Has anyone any advice??

orangeandemons Fri 28-Jun-13 13:53:24

Ours pulled out at the start of this week, about a week before we were hoping to exchange. The Bastards. The stress has been hideous, can't eat, hyper ventilating etc

House back on market, but according to estate agents market is flat ATM, whereas when we sold in March it was buoyant, and had 3 offers.

Tidying up takes for ever, garden looks like a jungle, and just cannot face another winter in this house. I bloody hate living here

Erlack Fri 28-Jun-13 11:35:04

And still it appears that some buyers pull out on the day of exchange, to the distress of some posters, which it seems is why it was revived.

dippymother Fri 28-Jun-13 10:11:40

This thread is nearly 4 years old......

wondermum1 Wed 26-Jun-13 18:53:44

Just read this thread. Yesterday our buyers pulled out, seconds before exchange. They have messed us around for nine months, putting in an offer, withdrawing, offering money to take our house of market, changing their mind. Finally agreed to buy over asking price when we had another buyer who wanted our house. We agreed as cash buyer and offered us long completion. We agreed, did everything by the book, just found a house, got a mortgage agreed yesterday and same day they pulled out. I am devastated, their reason is shambolic. I think these people are professional messes. Cost us money, emotion and my sanity. sad

Rox73 Mon 10-Aug-09 13:28:12

Hi caresmildly,
Did you exchange on Friday?

CaresMildly Fri 07-Aug-09 12:36:58

Feeling the pain here as we are due to exchange today (although it won't happen) after 18 months. Sold twice only for it all to fall through on day of exchange, lost 5 houses (although the current one that we are due to buy is lovely so it did work out for us that way in the end). And what's more lost £70k on value of our house and in negative equity so having to stump up actual cash to complete the move.

Our current house is just too small for us (and I can't stand it!) so it is worthwhile, but the whole process of moving is just guaranteed to bring on a breakdown. The 2nd time we got to day of exchange and everything broke down I broke down myself. The baby was about 6 months at that point and it felt like we'd never get shot of the hell-hole and into a family home for her to grow up. But it does look like we've finally cracked it and even if we don't exchagne today that it should all go through next week in time to complete for the Bank Holiday.

I completely agree about agents not being straight though - we put in an asking price offer on the new house with the proviso that they were out in 6 weeks as the chain below us was all ready. Agent agreed so we started the process only for the vendors to then say they weren't going anywhere until their own purchase was complete. So 6 weeks has stretched into 4 months (and counting) all because the agents didn't tell the truth to start with.

Rox73 Thu 06-Aug-09 11:41:22

My sympathies bagpussy. It's really disappointing I know. The whole UK system is nasty and messy.

We managed to find new buyers for our house pretty quickly, we put an offer on a lovely house but then got gazumped last week. We're still going to sell and are still looking for a new house to buy but may move into rented accomodation if we can't find anything soon. We're not having much luck.

I'm sure you'll find new buyers soon, there are alot more people looking and not alot of new homes coming on the market.

Most banks give you up to 6 months to complete on mortgage offers so if you might still be able to get your dream house.

Good luck!

Mins Thu 06-Aug-09 11:36:21

Ohh bagpussy I am so sorry to hear this. We just moved a week or so ago and I had fears that our buyers were going to do exactly the same thing. Luckily they didn't but I do believe that if it's meant to be it will happen. Just try and think positive no matter how hard it is in these circumstances. I do believe in karma too so what goes around comes around - your buyers will pay for this in some way!! smile

bagpussy Thu 06-Aug-09 10:25:19

Two days ago our buyers pulled out on the day we were hoping to exchange! I am still in total shock and I really don't know if I can face to go through all this again.

We now stand to lose a dream property and also our mortgage offer which was quite exceptional in the current climate.

I'm all up for campaigning for a better system if I have energy after this fiasco!

The excuses our buyers gave were absolutely pathetic and inaccurate (about works needed to the house). However, they don't even need to give excuses do they! they can just pull out because 'they want to'!

I'm so shocked I can't even cry about it.

faraday Fri 17-Jul-09 13:30:48


BUT WHY don't we all instead of looking for solace when this crazy system has failed us LOBBY for a better one? See this link!

alternative system

Rox73 Fri 17-Jul-09 10:25:15

thanks a million!

missamiss Thu 16-Jul-09 21:48:09

Good uck with the new buyers Rox

GrendelsMum Thu 16-Jul-09 15:41:55

The estate agents for the house we bought checked our bank statement too, to confirm we really did have the cash ready to go.

Rox73 Thu 16-Jul-09 14:32:40

The plus side of all this is that we've now accepted a higher offer on our house. Fingers crossed it all goes through properly. Now I have to find a house!

Mintyy Sat 27-Jun-09 19:46:38

"Agents seem to have no power to check what buyers tell them" - indeed, this is because agents are not blessed with the gift of foreseeing the future, or knowing whether or not someone is telling the truth.

The agents have lost £1000s of pounds on this sale. Do you think they would just let that happen if they could possibly prevent it? The buyers are the idiots. Direct your anger towards them.

SouthernMeerkat Sat 27-Jun-09 19:39:49

Total and utter sympathy - this happened to us and we lost my perfect house - even though we offered to exchange with a delayed completion. they didn't want to wait, had 4 offers within 24 hours and we took another 3 weeks to sell ours so are in a 'compromise' house now sad.

It shouldn't be allowed - but sadly it happens all too often...

hope you sell at a higher price to much nicer people.

herbietea Sat 27-Jun-09 16:08:30

Message withdrawn

wildfig Sat 27-Jun-09 16:02:17

PS Should add that once we lurked around the estate agency and found a more, um, straightforward agent to deal with, things moved quite quickly! So not all agents are evil, obv.

But, just noticed: what on earth where the buyers thinking, assuming you'd leave your speakers, amps, etc?! they sound pretty nightmarish. portandlemon's right: they'd probably have screwed you over had the sale gone further. You are Well Shot.

Lizzylou Sat 27-Jun-09 15:44:53

I work in an Estate Agents on a Saturday (am sat here whiling away the last 20mins now).

We DO check that all offers are proceedable, if someone is a cash buyer, then we have to see evidence of that (bank books etc), but I know an awful lot of agents do not carry out these checks.

So sorry for you, must be heartbreaking.

Hope you sell soon.

wildfig Sat 27-Jun-09 15:31:49

Total and utter sympathy for you. Their solicitor and the estate agents want a good slap.

We narrowly escaped being in the same situation in reverse: we made an offer on a house back in March, as cash buyers, ready to move immediately. Agents told us that the seller wasn't in a chain, would move in with her children, could do the deal within six weeks. OF COURSE this turned out to be entirely in the agent's tiny mind - prompted by a protective family solicitor, who delayed the provision of vital documents for eight weeks, the vendor then announced she wanted to find her own house first, and by the way, she needed our deposit to put down on her purchase. We finally exchanged on Tuesday, on the threat of us pulling out altogether.

Offer accepted: March. Completion date: August. And if the agents and her solicitor had been straight with us from the beginning, or better, not been involved at all, it could have been done in half the time. Grr.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: