Advanced search

Buildings insurance for old properties

(19 Posts)
trixymalixy Tue 23-Jun-09 16:27:25

Could anyone recommend a buildings insurance provider for a pre 1850 house?

scaryteacher Tue 23-Jun-09 16:48:47

I used M&S for my 1835 before I moved abroad and it was no problem - combined the buildings and contents. Norwich Union now covers it as it's let out.

scaryteacher Tue 23-Jun-09 17:12:27

Sorry, that should have been 1835 house.

trixymalixy Tue 23-Jun-09 20:47:55

Cheers, I am just being totally lazy.

I remember last time trying to get a quote for renewal and so many said they wouldn't insure a pre 1850 house that I ended up giving up and sticking with my mortgage provider.

I really need to try and get the cost down this year though!

MrsMuddle Tue 23-Jun-09 21:04:35

I got mine through, and it's with some odd company - Ecclesiastical and general (or similar). Was about £150 cheaper than previous year's insurance.

missmuddle Tue 23-Jun-09 21:07:26

i found mine through axa but its circa 1880

trixymalixy Tue 23-Jun-09 21:11:31

Are you two related?

Cheers everybody.

missmuddle Tue 23-Jun-09 21:18:53

yes i wondered that but i have been here since 2004 and in my current name for a couple of years but so busy with dcs don't get on much

MrsMuddle Tue 23-Jun-09 21:44:37

I've been here since 2005, but I've never seen you before! It's like Happy Families. All we need for the full set are Master Muddle and Mister Muddle.

I am the world's most boring poster - mostly book threads - so as long as you're not in the habit of starting contentious threads, I don't suppose it matters if people confuse us. smile

trixymalixy Tue 23-Jun-09 22:07:04

Grrr, tried all these online and I need to phone tomorrow as it won't be a standard quote.

trixymalixy Thu 25-Jun-09 14:35:29 have referred my application to their underwriters, what a nightmare. Some were asking for a structural engineers report because of the age of the bulding!!

scaryteacher Thu 25-Jun-09 17:01:38

Try M&S, they are fine with mine - 1835 stone house with slate roof.

scaryteacher Thu 25-Jun-09 17:03:14

Oh, and don't go for the cheapest quote. M&S were expensive true, but the policy had everything I wanted, including unlimited buildings and contents and accidental damage. They could not have been more helpful when I had to claim on the contents, to the extent of letting me source a replacement for something when their company couldn't.

CMOTdibbler Thu 25-Jun-09 17:09:06

M&S are a nightmare when it comes to claims.
Hiscox are not the cheapest, but their cover is fantastic, and they are very good with old and listed buildings

Otherwise, it may be best to go to a specialist broker as they can find good cover for unusual buildings

Littlefish Thu 25-Jun-09 17:31:44

We're using a broker to try and find insurers. None of the standard insurers I contacted would take it on, particularly while we were doing building work on it.

scaryteacher Thu 25-Jun-09 20:49:14

Strange, M&S were fab with me - no problems at all either time.

wildfig Sat 27-Jun-09 15:24:57

Our 1830 house is Grade 2 listed (sounds posh, is actually bit of a pain in the arse) and we got the insurance from a company called Lark Insurance, through the Listed Building Owners society. Normal insurance wasn't going to cover it, as the cost of repair wouldn't be the same as the value of the house - I think the quote's pretty reasonable. Might give you another figure to throw into the bargaining mix?

mrspnut Sat 27-Jun-09 15:33:56

We are with privilege for our 1730's stone built cottage, they are part of direct line and the combined buildings and contents cover was about £350 for the year.

Jux Sat 27-Jun-09 15:37:18

Ours is only about 1870 but we had big problems getting insurance. In the end the NFU turned out to be fantastic and very reasonable pricewise.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: