Talk

Advanced search

How to pay a plumber for redoing a kitchen. He wants a third payment to just book him.

(17 Posts)
ipanemagirl Tue 23-Jun-09 09:55:39

He does come well recommended. I just wondered if this is common practice? I'd rather not give such a large sum to anyone before they've even started work.

Any advice? I'd like to say to him I'm happy to pay a third on the start of work but not before.

ipanemagirl Tue 23-Jun-09 10:14:56

bump

navyeyelasH Tue 23-Jun-09 10:23:30

Personally I wouldn't do it - what does he need the money for is it for materials?

How did you find this plumber?

morningpaper Tue 23-Jun-09 10:25:05

How long will the work take? What is the total cost?

As long as all the paperwork is in place i.e. proper contract etc. then I might pay him 1/3 up front

SoupDragon Tue 23-Jun-09 10:27:28

How far in advance? I'd be happy to pay a 1/3 up front a short while in advance in order to secure a good tradesman.

ipanemagirl Tue 23-Jun-09 10:28:08

Thanks, we got the number from a colleague of dh's. She was delighted with his work and so are others she knows of.
I liked him too which is at least something!

But I just feel uneasy about laying out so much dosh, It will all cost between 4 and 5 grand I think altogether.

He gave me a verbal quote, do you think I should get it in writing?

MadameCastafiore Tue 23-Jun-09 10:29:14

I wouldn't unless you have a proper legal contract drawn up - you need to put a time frame in of when certain jobs have to be completed by and he gets a percentage of the money at each stage and I would say 50% upon completeion after he has dealt with anything on your snagging list.

A good businessman shouldn't want anything for materials he should have a float for that kind of thing unless we are talking appliances.

SoupDragon Tue 23-Jun-09 10:30:33

Absolutely get it in writing. Also whether it is a quote or an estimate which are very different things.

SoupDragon Tue 23-Jun-09 10:31:55

I'd perhaps try to negotiate something like 1/3 up front (his requirement) 1/3 on completion and 1/3 after snagging.

LyraSilvertongue Tue 23-Jun-09 10:32:11

I've never paid anything upfront and I've recently had my kitchen and bathroom completely redone. But, I think I'd be happy to pay a third, providing he gave me a receipt.

SoupDragon Tue 23-Jun-09 10:32:35

(actually I wouldn't. I'd roll over and pay whatever they said because I'm a wuss blush)

ipanemagirl Tue 23-Jun-09 10:43:24

Thanks I appreciate the advice! I'll call him and try to get more in writing.

TheChilliMoose Tue 23-Jun-09 10:45:34

No, don't pay anything up front.

Pannacotta Tue 23-Jun-09 10:50:42

Not sure. I certainly would not pay anyone a third of the cost based only on a verbal quote, in fact that sounds quite unprofessional to me.

Is he supplying the materials, is this why he needs cash up front?

WHy not call him and say he comes recommended, that you'd like him to do the work but not without a written quote (not estimate) and clarification of why he wants payment in advance.
See if you can negotiate a lower amount. If not then get it all in writing and get a receipt if you hand over any money.

Bramshott Tue 23-Jun-09 11:03:01

We paid a 30% deposit to our plumbers when they redid our central heating. They quoted in writing, and then we confirmed in writing that we wanted to go ahead, and paid 30%.

jeanjeannie Tue 23-Jun-09 12:39:55

IMO so long as you have a contract then some money upfront is usual - and it's what I've done. If he's a sole trader and it's a job running into thousands then he also needs reassurance that he's not going to get stung!

If it's a big job then it's probably a heck of a lot of money - even on account for him to stump up front. I usually stagger job payments for builders/ electricians/plumbers into payment schedules. One up front - rest on approval of each section.

bettyjack Sat 27-Jun-09 23:11:03

My husband is a carpenter and it is always 60% up front on any job over £1000.

He would always provide a written quote and receipt of any payments made.

On larger jobs say over £5000 a contract would be drawn up inlcuding payment schedule and timescales etc.

I personally would give any money unless you have some sort of written correspondence or receipt etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now