Talk

Advanced search

Removing radiators to decorate behind them . . . . any plumbers out there?

(7 Posts)
Notquitegrownup Mon 22-Jun-09 19:01:32

We made a huge mistake, I think, in getting our central heating put in ten years ago, and not stripping the old wall paper off/redecorating first. I now want to get behind them, but the plumber used quarter inch piping - easier for him to feed through when installing, but is it really safe to lift off radiators to redecorate, when there is only a quarter inch pipe which will be bent/strained once the radiator is off the wall? Am I going to end up with an expensive plumbers bill, if we try to get access behind the radiators, or can we just lift them off and lean them forward on something, whilst we decorate?

LIZS Mon 22-Jun-09 19:04:03

We did it once on fil's suggestion - ended up with horrid black stains on the carpet and couldn't align it properly afterwards so had a leak and called out a plumber. Turned out he'd never actually done it that way himself ... hmm

ABetaDad Mon 22-Jun-09 19:14:38

Have you tought about just painting the walls and getting a Radiator Roller to do behind the radiators so you do not have to move them at all?

bamboo Mon 22-Jun-09 20:55:48

We've had to replaster most of our house and in a couple rooms we failed to get the radiators off first so the plasterer had to work round them. It really bugs me as it looks so bodged! I think we're going to end up getting radiator covers as a compromise, though I'm not convinced they look that stylish.

pinkteddy Mon 22-Jun-09 20:59:25

don't you need to drain the system before removing a radiator? My dad always does it for us blush as dh not got a clue!

bamboo Mon 22-Jun-09 21:02:42

No, you can just shut off the valve and cap them, ideally. The valves on ours were bust though, so dh didn't fancy capping them "live" as it were.

JillJ72 Mon 22-Jun-09 21:22:03

Tip from my uncle is to plug each end of the rad when you've disconnected it, that stops the sludge from running out as you move it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now