Talk

Advanced search

How much does it cost for a new bathroom and new kitchen?

(11 Posts)
jugglingwoman Mon 22-Jun-09 11:25:12

I'm looking at a property later which apparently needs new carpets, bathroom and kitchen. TBH, that could explain it's not too bad (but not amazing) price.

I'm wondering how much the new bathroom and kitchen would cost as obviously that would be a large factor in whether we can afford it (and don't want to fall in love with the idea then not be able to do the reality). I imagine they won't be larger than 90 square feet. My Dad is a plumber so I know I wouldn't have to pay as much as most people but I'm seeing scary figures!

Thank you!

CountessDracula Mon 22-Jun-09 11:28:58

Well it depends what you go for!

You can get basic ones very cheaply

Is any of it liveable until you can afford to do it?

jugglingwoman Mon 22-Jun-09 11:34:14

That's what I'm wondering. Will find out later. The problem is we don't particularly want to be living in the house whilst that kind of work is being done (DS is 7).

We also plan on starting TTC as soon as we're in the house so we need to know we can afford to do it now as we wouldn't be able to pay a mortgage and building work on one salary.

How much is cheap?!

CountessDracula Mon 22-Jun-09 12:48:27

£200 bathroom suite
£600 kitchen
at a guess

jugglingwoman Mon 22-Jun-09 12:56:08

Oo excellent-that's definitely do-able. I was expecting at least £10K for each!

Hopefully we can knock the price down £20k and use the difference to pay for a nice kitchen and bathroom.

Thank you-that's made me feel more positive about it!

bigstripeytiger Mon 22-Jun-09 12:59:23

If your dad is doing the fitting then its very do-able, its the fitting that costs with bathrooms and kitchens, the actual materials dont have to be expensive. If you have a look at the B+Q website or similar that will give you an idea of the materials costs.

navyeyelasH Mon 22-Jun-09 13:10:39

My kitchen was £3000 got 50% off in the sale it's this one. Prices excludes most appliances, worktop, sink and fitting.

Bathroom suite was £1500 from here again in sale. Price excludes fitting (quoted £2000 exc tiling) and tiles (£300).

It depends on your taste, how much your dad can do and how much you are willing to do. My dp fitted our bathroom himself saving us a fortune.

B and Q and wickes do quite cheap suites from about £400 inc waste, traps, seats etc. In the "take away" ranges. Ikea seem to have the cheapest kitchens which you can get at about £400 for the cheapest or £700 for slightly nicer possibly better quality one. Howdens are worth a look too.

You would need an electrician to fit you kitchen appliances; also if you needed new lights/extractor in kitchen or bathroom you need a qualified electrician (might be different in Scotland)

HTH

steamedtreaclesponge Mon 22-Jun-09 13:14:39

We just put in a new bathroom in our house - got the suite for £250 from Screwfix. Much cheaper than anywhere else and had a steel bath (not nasty cheapo acrylic) plus mixer taps for the sink and mixer taps/shower attachment included for the bath.

When you add on the cost of the tiles etc the whole thing probably cost us under £500 (we did all the tiling, plumbing etc ourselves).

We also gave our kitchen a facelift rather than getting a completely new one - new cupboard doors, re-tiled, new floor etc but kept the basic structure, is this something you could consider doing?

Otherwise I would say that Ikea have very good kitchens at cheap prices and B&Q also not bad - if you can design the kitchen and buy all the bits yourself, then get someone in to help you put everything together, this will also be cheaper.

meadow6 Mon 22-Jun-09 13:32:10

My husband is a kitchen fitter. He says to supply,fit, tile a kitchen you are between £5000 and £8000. Obviously cheaper if you do the fitting youself. But by contracting a fitter you pay a bit to have the whole job done in 3 days including gas and electrical work.

CountessDracula Mon 22-Jun-09 13:40:24

here is one for £600 for eg

jugglingwoman Mon 22-Jun-09 14:10:20

Thank you.

I'd like to have my Dad fit it and do it during the day time with his apprentice but I also realise that paying a kitchen fitter may be a lot quicker!

Our main issue is not wanting to live there whilst it's being done (or not unless it is only for 3 days) but we also don't want to pay rent on our current house whilst also paying a mortgage.

I guess I'll have a look at the house later and see if it's worth doing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now