Talk

Advanced search

How much would you expect to pay a builder to build a roof over your front door?

(18 Posts)
princessmel Mon 22-Jun-09 10:54:42

Not a full on porch with a door.

We already have an ugly ,concrete slab above the front door and want a cute, pretty roof instead. Either with a point or sloping towards the front in a lean-to style iykwim.

A builder came on friday to do a quote. He is a friend of our friends. Another of his friends did our new roof.

He is going to have to clad the excisting slab with wood to cover it up. This was cheaper than removing it.

I am so impatient, want the quote now. I want to know if can afford it. Or not.

So any guesses to the price to give me a clue?

TeriHatchetJob Mon 22-Jun-09 10:57:53

£400

princessmel Mon 22-Jun-09 11:05:47

Thanks, I'd be pleased if it was that much. Dh thinks double.

Not sure we will be having it done if it's double that.

Any other guesses?

LaurieFairyCake Mon 22-Jun-09 11:08:12

ours cost £1,000 in 2002 - it was three sided, pantiled, above a bay window with proper guttering and lead flashing.

princessmel Mon 22-Jun-09 11:13:48

I bet dh is expecting that sort of price LFC.

Ours might have a supporting wall down one side, or a pillar, post sort of thing.
There is already a wall on the other side.

It would need tiles and guttering etc.

princessmel Mon 22-Jun-09 12:30:23

lunchtime bump

GooseyLoosey Mon 22-Jun-09 12:30:59

£1000

navyeyelasH Mon 22-Jun-09 12:36:28

Where do you live? If not ion London and not up North I's day between £700 and £1000. Is he doing mates rates?

princessmel Mon 22-Jun-09 12:40:21

Herts.

I hope he might be doing a sort of mates of mates rates thing. We're not his mate iyswim.

Greensleeves Wed 24-Jun-09 13:29:27

bloody hell

I've never paid a builder for anything yet

but I reckon about £800?

it sounds lovely btw

princessmel Wed 24-Jun-09 13:30:59

grin

Greeny!

Lucky you not paying builders....!

dh thinks at least £800. I was hoping lower but I think I am wrong....

Greensleeves Wed 24-Jun-09 13:32:30

well we are going to have to eventually, parts of our house are in a shocking state and dh and I are DIY duffers grin

IME blokes are always more pessimistic in their estimates on this sort of thing though. I know dh would be.

princessmel Wed 24-Jun-09 13:49:59

He says he can do it himself..and he IS very handy. BUT he just never has time for this sort of thing. He works most saturdays etc etc

I just want the quote then I know if it's happening or not.

princessmel Thu 25-Jun-09 13:48:10

Hmmm

I just spoke to the builder and he said it's looking to be around £1100

He's coming on monday...

dh has already told me we can't have it done

Oh bottoms!!!

navyeyelasH Thu 25-Jun-09 20:30:20

princessmel - not sure of this is any good but we have found mybuilder.com really good for competitive quotes.

princessmel Fri 26-Jun-09 17:17:47

Thanks, will take a look...

bettyjack Sat 27-Jun-09 22:47:37

Why dont you get a few quotes to see the comparison.

To be honest he might budge on his price a bit if you can get the job done cheaper.

Also builders need work this time of climate.

princessmel Sun 28-Jun-09 13:01:46

We have thought of an idea that might reduce the price, involves dh doing a do-able diy job first...

We'll see what the builder says on monday.

Other idea is to do the diy-able job and then buy a ready built roof online and fit it ourself. This is still working out to be about £7-800 though. If the builder can go down to that we'll get him to do it.

I am wary of other quotes as we know nothing about other builders. This guy has done lots for our friends.
There is a house opposite having an extenstion done now, they're almost finished so could get them to do a quote.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now