Talk

Advanced search

How much do you think this work will cost please?

(7 Posts)
spokette Fri 19-Jun-09 21:33:18

I'm just looking for a ball park figure to help me to decide whether to buy a house I'm interested in.

The kitchen is small with 1970s unit. There is a dining room separated from the kitchen by a wall. How much would it cost to knock out the wall to create a kitchen diner plus install a new kitchen please(hopefully the builder would be able to do this)?

In addition, upstairs there is a bathroom with a toilet plus a separate toilet which is next to a bedroom. How much would it cost to create an ensuite using the separate toilet etc.

Finally, the house is 4 bedroom detached and has not been modernised since the 1970s. How much would it cost to rewire and put in central heating please (4 bedrooms, kitchen, dining room, living room, sitting room, bathroom).

If we used one builder, would this help to reduce the price in terms of economy of scale?

TIA

spokette Fri 19-Jun-09 21:36:06

Also, how much would it cost to pay someone to decorate the house top to bottom. DH and I are not DIY lovers and the thought of having to do all that decoration fills us with dread but if we have to do it, we will.

The reason we are interested in the house is because it is in a desirable location and is the only way that we would ever be able to afford to live there.

nymphadora Fri 19-Jun-09 21:36:28

4-5K for the heating and similar for electrics apparantly though our house is over 4 floors

kif Sat 20-Jun-09 10:24:24

my-builder.com

browse all the agreed jobs on there

Guadalupe Sat 20-Jun-09 10:29:16

Has just cost us around 50k to do all those things and we saved a lot of money using local people on a day rate and reusing materials rather than going to a big company.
I know someone who has just paid closer to 80k doing similar work.

Knocking down walls, putting in new kitchens and bathroom, rewiring, replumbing and complete decoration is a lot of work.

Guadalupe Sat 20-Jun-09 10:31:02

Mind you, we also repaired or replaced all window sashes and needed steel supports in the kitchen where we knocked the wall down so that was quite expensive.

spokette Sun 21-Jun-09 17:01:52

Gulp! £50kshock.

OK,time for a re-think.

Thanks for the website kif.smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now