Talk

Advanced search

Here's a query...has anyone had their bath re-enamelled?

(13 Posts)
LovingtheSilverFox Thu 18-Jun-09 22:13:16

I wondered if anyone has had their bath re-enamelled and how much it cost. Would the company have to remove the bath to do it etc etc.

We are buying a house that has the original rolltop bath, it needs re-enamelling, but that's the only decor work we can see that needs to be done (yeah!).

Can anyone help?

northender Thu 18-Jun-09 22:19:53

Yes it needs to be removed to be re enamelled and there are only a handful of companies that do it. We looked into it and decided against as I'm not sure we could get it out! There are other options but I think you have to be careful as some of the resurfacing doesn't last too long before wearing and needing redoing.

LovingtheSilverFox Thu 18-Jun-09 22:24:00

Woah, I didn't think there would be any replies as I couldn't find any old threads about it!

I really would want it re-enamelled as the whole house has been done traditionally so I would want to remain in that spirit.

Can you remember how much it might cost?

NorbertDentressangle Thu 18-Jun-09 22:24:53

We had our bath (cast iron roll-top) recoated in situ about 7 years ago.

TBH its not lasted very well though.

It was done by Renubath

northender Thu 18-Jun-09 22:26:23

The website we looked at didn't give any idea of cost, will try to find a link.

NorbertDentressangle Thu 18-Jun-09 22:26:26

ah,actually Renu Bath wouldn't be any good as I see you want proper enamel

LovingtheSilverFox Thu 18-Jun-09 22:30:58

Thanks for replies, DH is impressed with the power of Mumsnet, because now he knows that he can't go for a more convenient option of it in situ!

shockers Thu 18-Jun-09 22:35:36

I think they need doing about every 6 years as we had ours done 6 years ago and it's getting a slightly yellow cast to it now. It was a company from the north east but they came to us ( north west)

moaningminnie2020 Thu 18-Jun-09 22:38:48

this might be useful

LovingtheSilverFox Thu 18-Jun-09 22:47:26

Thanks for that, I shall make sure DH sees it. I thought it might cost loads, but that seems to be quite reasonable.

northender Fri 19-Jun-09 15:19:41

That link though isn't for vitreous enamel, it's resurfacing which has very mixed reviews when you research it. I assume the vitreous enamel process to be hugely more expensive as it involves so much more but if looked after properly will last a lifetime.This is the link I was looking for.www.ive.org.uk/map/index.html As I said we decided against due to logistics but the resurfacing options will last 10 years max. We've found a local man to do ours and he is a real enthusiast but he was very straight with us and said 10 years. It's going to cost around £300.
Hope that helps.

LovingtheSilverFox Fri 19-Jun-09 18:34:49

Thanks for your help. I knew MN would have the answers!!

lalalonglegs Fri 19-Jun-09 20:36:27

We had ours done a few years ago and it was brilliant and didn't need removing. My dad his avocado suite re-enamelled white and it worked wonderfully, again it was done in situ. Cost a couple of hundred quid from memory.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now