Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Painted kitchens - does anyone have one?

(21 Posts)
FatGirlThin Thu 18-Jun-09 19:47:54

I want a painted kitchen like this here. I've just had a quote for a painted oak one <faints>. It seems a bit pointless to spend the money on beautiful (and expensive) wood like oak and then paint it! Can anybody recommend any other companies that might be worth getting to quote?

FatGirlThin Thu 18-Jun-09 21:14:15

Oh now come on...someone must have either a painted kitchen or an opinion on them...<impatient> smile

mumblechum Thu 18-Jun-09 21:17:13

I have a painted oak kitchen. When we moved in it was plain light oak & I painted it myself. Took a long time and did a really good job and it still looks good 5 yrs later.

How about buying an inexpensive kitchen and painting it yourself? It's really not rocket science but you need to paint the doors while they're on a flat surface, first sanding them down well, applying good quality primer & paint. I used farrow & ball oil based flat paint in a light cream.

FiveGoMadInDorset Thu 18-Jun-09 21:18:46

We painted the kitchen that cam with the house.

FatGirlThin Thu 18-Jun-09 21:25:28

Have you found it has chipped off round heavy traffic areas? Alot of the cheaper painted units seem to be paint on pine - do you think because it's softer it's going to hold up like your oak has? I am willing happy to paint the units, what you're talking about (painting a cheaper kitchen) is what I'm looking for, hence the thread! smile

FatGirlThin Thu 18-Jun-09 21:26:04

This is going to be in an extension - no existing kitchen to tart up!

FiveGoMadInDorset Thu 18-Jun-09 21:27:50

A little bit, we are replacing this year. My parents have a painted kitchen and looks lovely and friends have one and it looks great. My advice do your research. We have found a massive variation in prices.

chimchar Thu 18-Jun-09 21:29:51

ere y'are

smile

FatGirlThin Thu 18-Jun-09 22:01:53

Ooh, thanks ChimChar, that looks just the sort of thing. I'm going to email them copies of my plans. Have you used them?

GrapefruitMoon Thu 18-Jun-09 22:14:50

I agree MDF is possibly your best option if you want to paint the units anyway - this is what was recommended to us by the cabinetmaker who made lots of stuff for our house. As you say, it is pretty pointless to use oak and then paint it anyway.

I have also painted a kitchen I inherited. It looked really good and the paint lasted well - you need to use a good quality oil-based one like F&B imo.

chimchar Sat 20-Jun-09 07:07:02

hi..sorry, i went missing for a bit!

no, have not used them, but they are in the back of all the house mags and had a little feature in the weekend telegraph a few weeks back....hth.

i'm after the same sort of thing, but unfortunatly, my budget is not allowing anything quite so lovely. sniff!

SparkyUK Sun 21-Jun-09 00:08:43

Get a few quotes if possible as they can vary wildly. We live in London and had a company in Dorset build us a pine kitchen. It looks much more expsensive (yuk) then it cost. We painted it and if we could do it again and could find the money, I'd have them do it as it took soooooo much longer than we thought it would and doesn't look quite as nice or neat as the new kitchen of our friends (same company). They do oak too, but didn't see the point if it was being painted. Some companies will do pine or mdf carcass (is that what it's called - sorry, late) but oak doors if you really want oak

MsMarple Sun 21-Jun-09 00:20:22

Hi SparkyUk - what is the name of the people who made your kitchen please? Would you recommend them/use them again?

SparkyUK Sun 21-Jun-09 00:32:33

We almost went with these guys
www.handmadekitchens-direct.co.uk/ but at the time they had a really long waiting period. What is nice about them is they have a price list on their website so you can price things out yourself, see where you could cut costs if you need to, etc.

MsMarple Sun 21-Jun-09 00:48:13

thanks

HerHonesty Sun 21-Jun-09 08:46:38

hello i love these ones:

kit stone: http://www.kitstone.co.uk/

and also have looked at these

www.neptune.co.uk

i think cost very much depends on a) wood and b) whether it is completely made to measure or not. some painted kitchens are still "modular" ie you choose from a range of cabinets whose sizes are pre determined.

anyway, more links/options would be welcome, i am beginning to look too!

FatGirlThin Sun 21-Jun-09 17:04:03

Here's a couple of other links I've found

pineland but they don't paint or prime it for you

wooden kitchen company

fatjac Sun 21-Jun-09 17:33:07

I too hasve been looking into these kitchens. MDF is fine for the doors and drawer fronts but I want to have nice wooden shelves inside the cupboards. I think we are going to go for pine or tulip wood and maybe leave one or two units unpainted for a mix and match kind of look.

Guadalupe Sun 21-Jun-09 17:46:51

I have just had a local carpenter make us a kitchen like some of the Fired Earth free standing units and then we are painting them in Farrow and Ball.

They are pine with some MDF bits, the panels in the door I think, whereas the Fired Earth ones are oak and one unit costs nearly twice as much as our whole kitchen.

Guadalupe Sun 21-Jun-09 17:51:57

We've done the same as fatjac. We got a larder dresser on ebay and have painted that a different colour to the rest, also a little cabinet with an enamel pull out tray I found in a junk shop. All of them are pine.

SparkyUK Mon 22-Jun-09 00:48:45

Here is who we actually went with Dorset Pine I would recommend them. They did us a quote and then when we didn't come back to them right away (we were on holiday) they offered a discount if we booked it in, even though details weren't decided until later.

They do made to measure and were willing to build pieces for me that they hadn't ever done before. Very flexible and I found them easy to work with

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now