Talk

Advanced search

Painting... walls first? or paintwork?

(7 Posts)
clam Thu 18-Jun-09 19:34:58

Feel very dumb for asking this, as I'm no novice, but am doing this redecorating in rather a grump so have attacked it in probably the wrong order.

The new skirtings are already white, and have put a coat of primer/undercoat on. Will one coat of gloss suffice.

The door archetraves (sp?) are wood, and I don't reckon one coat of each will be enough. What should I do?

Shall I paint the walls next, then finish off with the gloss?

And I have had a cupboard built, with finished doors, but the ends are of MDF. Have primed them, but what should I put on next? Gloss, or mathc the walls with emulsion?

All advice welcome, please. TIA

Goober Thu 18-Jun-09 19:36:39

Woodwork last.

thisisyesterday Thu 18-Jun-09 19:38:18

do any gloss last.

mumblechum Thu 18-Jun-09 19:38:52

I generally start at the top, ie ceiling, work my way down, ending with the skirting boards, but what you've done is fine. Yes, one coat of gloss will suffice. You could cheat and buy Solo for your architraves, in theory you only need one coat but if not primed, maybe not.

On the cupboard, why not try a small area of each and see what you think looks best?

Good luck!

clam Thu 18-Jun-09 19:48:54

Builder offered to send his apprentice mate round to do it. "Oh no!" I said. "I like decorating."
Well I don't anymore. Fed up with the whole blasted thing, and I'm supposed to be writing reports for school at the moment, too. And rehearsing for a play. And organising a concert. And cleaning up after the builders. And catching up on a month's ironing. Oh, and running my everyday life, like the house and work....

Said I was in a grump...

Pannacotta Thu 18-Jun-09 21:53:08

WHy not call the builder and say you've changed your mind.
Life is too short to be painting woodwork IMHO......

clam Fri 19-Jun-09 11:49:29

Well, mentioned that to DH actually. But he said he'd do it himself rather than pay out any more at the moment. I love DH dearly and he has many fine qualities. However, painting is not one of them.

So, back up that ladder.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now