Talk

Advanced search

basement and extension builds going on side by side......any experiences??

(6 Posts)
Elibean Mon 15-Jun-09 13:16:53

Apologies for long post: I'm going slowly mad here sad

We were days from contract exchange, on our SW London Edwardian house, after months of trying to sell - nice, reliable buyers, all ready to roll. They want to build a side-return extension (back of the house) as soon as they complete, before moving in (they are in a rental). They already have an architect.

Neighbour serves party wall agreement last Tuesday angry - (houses not attached, but they are building within inches of party wall, ie garden wall, as they have already done their side return extension) and puts large spanner in the works.

Basically, our buyer needs reassurance that he can can still build his extension...probably overlapping work on the basement next door (which should take 3 months, starting end of July at earliest).

Party wall surveyor is moving as fast as he can, and he's hired a structural engineer, but both have yet to visit/comment. Surveyor thought the works could run alongside, but he needs the engineer's feedback.

My brother's friend-engineer says basement would force us/buyer to dig ultra deep foundations for extension, unless he backfills with cement - which is, apparently, quite easy and a possible solution - but even if thats true, I have no idea if works can run at the same time.

This is a very long shot, but does anyone have experience in this field, or lived through similar situation?!? Thanks for reading such a loooong post...

Elibean Mon 15-Jun-09 13:18:06

Sorry, forgot to say: neighbour is planning basement running full length of his house - the first in our road, but there are several in bigger houses nearby.

Elibean Mon 15-Jun-09 18:11:42

bump?

KB71 Mon 15-Jun-09 22:02:10

This is a long shot but why don't you phone your local Building Control officer at the local council and see if they can advise on whether the work can run at the same time and whether your neighbours would have to dig deeper foundations. It is quite often the building control officers that stipulate the depth of foundations anyway, so they may be able to advise. This may be a quick and free way of getting some advice. In my experience they are often quite happy to offer advise.

Also if you need a good party wall surveyor let me know as I have used one who is based in Wimbledon and he is very good.

Elibean Mon 15-Jun-09 22:05:39

Thank you so much, KB, thats great advice - will look into it tomorrow.

The party wall surveyor (chosen, at our suggestion, by our buyer - via his architect) has already asked a structural engineer to report on the situation, afaik, but will check that out too.

Elibean Mon 15-Jun-09 22:07:38

Sorry, misread that - no, thanks, we already have a party wall surveyor (could be the same one, in fact?!). He sounds good, very clear and firm!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now