Talk

Advanced search

Placing an ad to find a house to rent

(8 Posts)
NoMoreNagging Sun 14-Jun-09 20:58:54

If you were looking through ads trying to find someone to let your house to, what would attract you to contact someone?

I'm going to place a few ads in local papers as I'm living back with my parents with my 2 dc. I will be working part time and studying part time so can't afford a really expensive place but don't want to put people off. Any ideas how to word an advert? Or how not to word it so I don't put people off. One thing I would write is; I'm a local returning after living abroad and that I would like a long term let.

skihorse Mon 15-Jun-09 17:04:31

Just be honest. Placing an ad LOOKING has worked for both my sister and me in the past to great results.

I placed an ad in a foreign newspaper saying something along the lines of "British girl with friendly female dog is looking for a house within 20 minutes of x" - by pure chance the current tenant was moving out and phoned me up asking if I'd be interested. Gorgeous converted old millhouse.

My sister placed an add in the Cotswolds saying "Single professional female seeking house in a quiet village. One parrot." By chance, a little old lady read it and liked the sound of her. The old lady in question had never before rented out her spare house but liked this approach rather than advertising it.

Good luck! :-)

MoanyParsons Mon 15-Jun-09 17:08:42

I'm not sure why you would do this since normally landlords will advertise their properties in local papers and on websites such Rightmove etc...

Whereabouts are you looking?

NoMoreNagging Mon 15-Jun-09 17:15:20

MoanyParsons, unfortunately for me I have moved back to an area that has become victim of holiday homers so alot of property belongs to people who don't ever live here but they rent out to holiday makers through holiday cottage agencies and earn a fortune.

This leaves very few affordable places to rent for people like me returning from abroad and not yet on the property ladder so I have to rent. I'm kind of hoping that if I put an advert in the local papers someone who just wants to rent their place to someone local might see it and as skihorse says, might just like the wording. I'm quite desperate so I will try it that way. I still haven't found the perfect wording yet!

Cat666 Mon 15-Jun-09 17:22:57

Hi

I am a landlord and the best place to put an ad in your local paper or on Spareroom.com.

We landlords look at these websites and also the advertise in local papers.

Good Luck finding someplace.

NoMoreNagging Mon 15-Jun-09 17:26:22

Is there anythingthat really puts you off when reading the ads? Like I could try to get over the fact that my dc won't trash the place, that sort of thing! I guess you either rent to families or not so maybe I don't need to bother with too much information?

How about if I wrote the countries am returning from (as I have lived in 2)? Might get someone who loves one of those countries.

Cat666 Mon 15-Jun-09 17:31:12

Nothing puts me off. I'm the kind of landlord who likes to meet tenants and then gage what they are like. Adverts don't really give you a full picture. Someone could sound wonderful in the ad and then you meet them and think AAHH!!

skihorse Wed 17-Jun-09 20:06:39

It is a matter of luck - but by placing the advert I didn't have to phone 20 people and be told "no dogs" or "there's no garden".

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now