Talk

Advanced search

Is there a way to divide a room without putting up a proper wall?

(17 Posts)
SamVimesIsMyHero Sun 14-Jun-09 19:56:03

The only room dividers I can find seem to be office type ones. Is there anything that will look gorgeous and not like our village hall?! Wall is the other option btw, just not sure if we want it permanently and don't want to put one up only to pull it down a year later (obviously)
Thanks.

lalalonglegs Sun 14-Jun-09 20:03:54

A beautiful shelving unit like this one.

slackrunner Sun 14-Jun-09 20:07:08

Curtain? As in a very expensive luxe one, not one from Dunelm Mills lol (nothing wrong with DE btw, but to work the curtain needs to be heavy and be properly fitted).

My mum did this in an Edwardian house we had when I was a kid - the sitting room was massive, so to save heat we'd curtain it off in the evenings. Sounds naff but it looked great.

I like the shelfing idea too.

MumHadEnough Sun 14-Jun-09 20:09:09

For what reason do you need to divide the room? Might be easier to suggestion something if we knew that.

digitalgirl Sun 14-Jun-09 20:13:49

Folding French doors?

PaulaYatesBiggestFan Sun 14-Jun-09 20:20:47

we put one up last weekend

literally took a couple of hours - needs a skim but not a big job

SamVimesIsMyHero Sun 14-Jun-09 20:29:28

Room is currently lounge/dining room. We want to change it to lounge/playroom. I don't want to be able to see the children toys/mess.

What did you put up Paula?! Stud wall? Dh and I are useless DIYers, should we not even consider it? The room was originally two, there is an obvious 'frame' where the old wall was.

SamVimesIsMyHero Sun 14-Jun-09 20:31:10

Oh...and because of what we want it for I think curtain or french door wouldn't be suitable sad

PaulaYatesBiggestFan Sun 14-Jun-09 20:34:21

i would go for it!

we did put up a stud wall - dp looked up what to do on the internet and i LITERALLY took 2 hours once we had measured.

we have divided up rooms before ( paid a builder then saw how easy it was) and it is great - feel a real sense of gaining space!

( have put up one wall and had another knocked through in last six months)

honestly it is properly easy - nothing to lose imo!

SamVimesIsMyHero Sun 14-Jun-09 20:43:28

Except for a finger... grin

Where did you dh find the info. on how to put one up?

PaulaYatesBiggestFan Sun 14-Jun-09 20:44:59

loads of websites

PaulaYatesBiggestFan Sun 14-Jun-09 20:45:45

we put more noggins than they suggest for extra rigidity

SamVimesIsMyHero Sun 14-Jun-09 20:48:56

LOL LOL LOL! I don't even know what half that means. What the frick is scribing?!

NOGGINS?!

<remembers she isn't that tommy bloke from Ground Force>

<laughs sadly at thought of attempting stud wall>

PaulaYatesBiggestFan Sun 14-Jun-09 20:57:20

scribing? isn't that running a blade down something to get an edge fore you snap it like a tile?

kylesmyloveheart Sun 14-Jun-09 20:57:30

well it doesnt sound very easy to me lol.

i am in a one bed flat with ds 7 and the bedroom is a fair size.

this soudns exactly what we need without having to move. as its council though we probably cant.

PaulaYatesBiggestFan Sun 14-Jun-09 21:09:34

it IS a doddle honesty

where is your spirit? wink i am like julie walters husband in educating rita - wanging down a wall on a whim!

thirtypence Sun 14-Jun-09 21:17:35

I would divide up with those shelves that are in cubes and I would use office ones because they have backs and are finished on both sides. Have the shelves side facing the playroom and you also have storage.

I would not have a curtain in these circs. as it will get pulled down and generally played on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now