Talk

Advanced search

If you were transfering with a family in another HA house would this put you off?

(22 Posts)
TitsalinaBumsquash Sun 14-Jun-09 11:24:39

Were in a Housing association flat at the moment, were probably going to look at transfering in the next couple of years to see if we could get a house for all sorts of reasons, mainly health.

Anyway in our current flat i have been re designing the Bathroom and would like to paint a full wall mural on the only non tiled wall in the Bathroom, i was thinking a tastefull underwater scene, if you came round and sawe that in a pontnetial swap would it put you off?

I hope that makes sense!

hercules1 Sun 14-Jun-09 11:25:54

Yes, it would put me off big time. Keep it a plain, neutral colour.

GypsyMoth Sun 14-Jun-09 11:28:14

Yep!! Would slightly put me off. I'm in a HA house too, not that it matters, but have spent all my time here removing previous tennants dodgy decorating ( wallpaper mainly)

On a positive note, will be easy to paint over won't it?

TitsalinaBumsquash Sun 14-Jun-09 11:30:18

I know about the dodgey decorating our flat was hideous when we moved in!

I don't think it would be that easy to paint over i guess it would take a couple of coats as it would be very colourfull and a whole wall.

I don't think i will do it then, oh bum.

starshaker Sun 14-Jun-09 11:32:17

or do it and cover it yourself before you start with the swap

Fimbo Sun 14-Jun-09 11:33:12

Yes would put me off. There are some HA on my estate, one is empty at the moment and has the most hideous wallpaper as a "feature" wall in the lounge. I couldn't live with it.

TitsalinaBumsquash Sun 14-Jun-09 11:34:55

I think i will stick to decorating the furniture then it will come with me.

I have already Jungled up the kids boring wardrobes!

By the way i am good at this sort of thing so it wouldn't be tacky or dodgey but i guess not to some peoples tastes. grin

lucykate Sun 14-Jun-09 11:35:41

our next door neighbours have a wall mural painted in their bathroom by the previous owner. egyptian theme.

it's hideous.

if you really want to paint it, i think you need to accept, either do it on a large canvas that can be removed, or paint over it when it comes to moving.

Chandra Sun 14-Jun-09 11:35:44

I would put me off big time. Particularly if I didn't have the money and resources to remove it.

GypsyMoth Sun 14-Jun-09 11:35:47

I think if you find someone willing to swap a house for a flat then they may well really want it and overlook little things like décor?! Just a thought.

lucykate Sun 14-Jun-09 11:37:07

not meaning that yours would actually be hideous, i guess something like that is a very bold statement, not something everyone can live with.

TitsalinaBumsquash Sun 14-Jun-09 11:45:09

Im not holding out a lot of hop at finding someone who will swap a house for a first floor flat tbh but i will try, if not then we will hopefully be able to swap for at aleast a ground floor flat, otherwise we shall have to just go back on the housing list which is a nightmare.

Im not going to do it, it is a bold thing to have in the room i guess and i don't want it to be a deal breaker.

I shall stick to doing other peoples houses i guess, i have a fab one coming up for my sister. smile

KerryMumbles Sun 14-Jun-09 11:46:32

Magnolia baby.

Magnolia.

GypsyMoth Sun 14-Jun-09 11:47:35

I'm trying to swap a 3 bed for a 4 bed....... Plenty want to relocate here but would mean me moving into London, which I don't want. So resigned to staying put!!

TitsalinaBumsquash Sun 14-Jun-09 11:49:57

Lol the Bathroom has gone from having Brown carpet on the floor, bath panel and half way up the wall, with brown and orange flowery tiles on 3 walls and pink wallpaper on the other half of the walls. <boak>

It now has very plae blue tiles with a cream coloured wall and a proper floor, i have added white wooden acsessories and some little corner shelves. 100% better!

TitsalinaBumsquash Sun 14-Jun-09 11:51:35

I would be happy to stay put but im not going to be able to walk for many more years and DS will struggle climbing the stairs eventually as his CF gets worse. Im planning ahead i don't want to have to make a very sudden move to the local halfway house becuase im wheelchair bound and can't get up into my flat, i don't think they will install a Stenar Stair Lift onto our outside stairs.

NervousNutty Sun 14-Jun-09 11:59:18

If you need to move for medical reasons then can you HA not rehouse you ??

A muiral in the bathroom that could be easily painted over would not bother me one bit by the way.
My house was a complete and utter wreck when I moved in, so painting over one wall would be a walk in the park.

ninedragons Sun 14-Jun-09 12:56:34

Would you get much notice of the potential swap? You could always paint over it yourself if the viewings are scheduled in advance.

GypsyMoth Sun 14-Jun-09 13:26:58

For most house swaps sites you upload pics of each room. Can you not take a pic of room now, then do your mural but put the 'before' pic up and of you get an y interest just explain you added the mural?

misdee Sun 14-Jun-09 13:31:13

this palce needed a lot of work (still does), but i looked at nhe room sizes and layout rather than the decor.

Go paint. have fun.

i did an underwater scene in my bathroom many years ago, it was brilliant, if i do say so myself lol.

StealthPolarBear Sun 14-Jun-09 13:34:03

Do you want to do all that detailed work if you are planning to move and leave it behind?

jenwyn Sun 14-Jun-09 13:41:21

Why not get a big piece(or several) of hardboard.Cut to fit the wall and paint on that.Attach it to the wall with easy to remove screws or similar. When the time comes you can either take it with you or leave it if the new people like it too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now