Talk

Advanced search

lining paper

(9 Posts)
jetcat32 Sun 14-Jun-09 09:17:49

please.... would 1000 grade lining paper cover minor imperfections in walls, or will they simply show through??

I have filled and sanded the walls twice now, and decided that they will need a paper covering on, as cant afford to get them plastered. There is no bits which stick out now IYSWIM, but there are a few minor dents, which i cant seem to fill properly.

A mate did tell me that lining paper would simply accentuate the imperfections, and i should go for blown vinyl instead? But, i really want a smooth finish, as i am painting over it.

Many thanks

thumbwitch Sun 14-Jun-09 09:20:05

it is more usual to put a textured paper over dodgy walls tbh - I have had walls covered in woodchip paper (vile, don't even think about it) and small-tulip anaglypta, which is ok. You don't have to use a vinyl - the anaglypta I have is still a lining paper so can still be painted over and you can almost lose the pattern, depending on the colour you choose.

purepurple Sun 14-Jun-09 09:21:24

lining paper will show the bumps nore than a blown vinyl
but if you use a darker colour, not white and a matt finish you might get away with it
my walls are not flat, I like the bumpiness, adds character grin

thumbwitch Sun 14-Jun-09 09:23:28

here is a link to some of the anaglypta styles available - they come in very plain to really ornate, but all are paintable. (There's lots of pages there, btw)

jetcat32 Sun 14-Jun-09 10:19:19

thanks for that. i guess i will have to go for the anaglypta [sigh] even though that is more expensive. That will teach me for trying to do things cheaply!

jetcat32 Sun 14-Jun-09 10:22:02

pp, am using f & b borrowed light matt, so i guess if i am spending that much on the paint, i should really paper them properly!

deste Sun 14-Jun-09 22:29:42

I put on 1200 grade lining paper and a few dips appeared. I then found it easier to fill the dips and sandpaper on top of the lining paper, then paint with a matt finish.

jetcat32 Mon 15-Jun-09 07:30:10

i was thinking of doing that deste - i am so sick of filling and sanding though lol!

ahhh, decisions decisions grin

deste Mon 15-Jun-09 12:13:27

It worked for me. Take your time and do it properly as you will have to look at it every day. Put in the effort at the start and it will be worth it. Good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now