Talk

Advanced search

House move - what stuff do you actually NEED?

(15 Posts)
MrsMerryHenry Thu 11-Jun-09 15:49:27

I'm getting rather bored of looking at boxes adn packing tape online. HEEELP!

Do I really need all this stuff (see 'Small Removals Pack') for a 2-bed flat?

And what about mattress protectors - are they really useful? Surely the removals company should provide these?

notcitrus Thu 11-Jun-09 16:12:56

Don't buy cheap packing tape from the pound shop! It's crap.
Other than that, newspaper is fine for packing. Our movers provided boxes, tape and tape gun, and came 2 days before move to check we were getting on with it and provide more small boxes.

If it's raining when you move, your double mattress might get soggy. Suggest buy plastic sheeting from Homebase or similar (or roll of bin bags!), and if wet, wrap mattress and tape up. If not, return sheeting!

MrsMerryHenry Thu 11-Jun-09 16:17:11

Good tips, notcitrus. I might just buy the mattress cover - we'll probably be moving again in a year so it will come in handy.

midnightexpress Thu 11-Jun-09 16:21:55

OK, not sure if you're on a very tight budget, but when we moved last year, we paid the removals company an extra 200 quid and they packed it for us. It's about the best 200 quid I've ever spent. I tokk the DCs to the seaside for the day, sat and ate ice cream while we watched the ferries coming and going, wnet home - job done! Because they don't care, they don't spend half an hour swithering over every little thing; they just pack everything, fast. And they bring all the tape and the hanging boxes and stuff and collect the empties from you afterwards.

Seriously recommend it if you have the option.

MrsMerryHenry Thu 11-Jun-09 16:25:24

Midnightexpress, if it were down to DH we would save the money and triple the stress. So I'm taking over the house move and we are paying the extra! I'd like to pack some things in advance, hence buying boxes, but it will be SO nice to have a stress-free move like yours. Seeing as we're making a wee bit of money on our house sale I think we can afford to pay extra...and have an ice cream at the seaside!

midnightexpress Fri 12-Jun-09 14:47:45

Quite right MrsTH. A friend of mine was moving at the same time as we were with three DCs and her DH insisted on them (ie her) doing it all themselves, and I have rarely seen anyone look so stressed. I felt positively serene by comparison.

Order an online shop to arrive when you get to the new gaff too.

MrsMerryHenry Fri 12-Jun-09 15:10:43

Online shop - what a fabulous idea. You are marvellous.

grin

OhBling Fri 12-Jun-09 15:21:42

If you get them to pack up - do they do everything? Clothes, kitchen etc? I want to do this when DH and I move, but I can see arguments looking...!

MrsMerryHenry Fri 12-Jun-09 15:58:53

Yes - OhBling, they will. I have convinced DH to just bloody pay the money and reduce our stress levels. Keeping my fingers crossed for you, love!

Midnightx - am online shopping right now! wink. You clever girl!

OhBling Fri 12-Jun-09 16:28:51

It's not about the money for DH. Rather, he'll get all stressed out about the fact they'll be looking at our stuff or stealing it or whatever.

He's a little paranoid. grin

MrsMerryHenry Fri 12-Jun-09 16:30:19

Oh dear - much harder to convince then!

annh Fri 12-Jun-09 18:19:48

Mrs MerryHenry, if you are paying movers to do the job, you shouldn't have to buy additional boxes to pack stuff in advance surely? It will already be included in their quote and they should deliver boxes, paper and packing tape in advance for you to pack whatever you wish. Also check the insurance provided as most say that you are not covered for breakages on items that you have packed yourself.

notcitrus Fri 12-Jun-09 19:19:28

Get the online shop to arrive the day after the move though, in case anything goes pearshaped. First nights are for testing the local takeaway/restaurant!

MrsMerryHenry Mon 15-Jun-09 21:29:59

Notcitrus - I already worked that out, cheers! wink

Annh - hmm...maybe you're right! Am shocked by the variation in quotes we've had, as well - the highest quote came from the company we liked the least, so no difficulty in choosing there!

icedgemsrock Thu 18-Jun-09 21:33:52

Do you mind telling me what you have been quoted. People keep telling me it is very expensive for this type of removal but to me another £200 isn't so bad and well worth it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now