Talk

Advanced search

Calling York property gurus....

(6 Posts)
Bensonbluebird Wed 10-Jun-09 19:37:28

Been lurking on Dottoressa's thread and am waiting with baited breath...

We're moving from Edinburgh to York, our place has been on the market for two days and we have an offer at the asking price but haven't given a definite answer yet as we have more viewings booked for friday and sunday, so in short, all going well here.

I'm coming to York tomorrow to see 5 properties:

Top favourite
this one and another just along the road in the right area but maybe too small.
maybe too small and maybe too far out but lovely big gardens.

And finally this one, area dosn't look so bad to me, but then I live in Leith.

So apart from your opinion on those, my question is, when do you need a solicitor? can you make an offer without one? we are completely ignorant about buying in England. Can anyone recommend a solicitor?

Bensonbluebird Fri 12-Jun-09 11:10:40

We've put in an offer on top favourite house which they are considering and are going to give us an answer tomorrow.

We've also had another note of interest on our flat and have four more viewings over the weekend, so we'll probably set a closing date on monday.

I can't concentrate on work but I have sooo much to do. argh.

Dottoressa Sat 20-Jun-09 21:39:36

Hello Benson!

Good luck with your move - if you get your top house, you will soon be bankrupt courtesy of the Pig and Pastry cafe!

I've been trying to find my house-buying thread, but have lost it. Could you possibly give me the link?

The Tadcaster Road house has gone back on the market. The vendors are being absolutely lovely, but as they also want to move, they feel they have no alternative. Our offer still stands, only we have not sold ours after all - which makes it not as good an offer, and we may well find we are beaten by someone who has already sold.

I shall be very, very sorry to lose that house. I'd even got DS signed up for the Dringhouses Beavers! sad

Benson - how old are your children?

As to making offers and so on - I think (though I may be wrong) that you can make an offer without a solicitor, but you'd have to get one organised pretty quickly after that. We use a 'legal executive' rather than a solicitor, as he's cheaper and specalises in property transactions. We found him via our neighbour, who's a solicitor. He's in Leeds, but we could certainly recommend him!

Dottoressa Sat 20-Jun-09 21:41:07

PS I hope the York people do come on here, as they will have far more useful things to tell you than I can!

Dottoressa Sat 20-Jun-09 21:45:23

PPS Aha - have found my thread! But I'll watch this one with interest...

goldenpeach Thu 25-Jun-09 22:17:35

You can go on mumsnet local and choose york so you can post on the local board for york, it helps as you get more of the locals.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now