Talk

Advanced search

Views on this house please

(45 Posts)
LovingTheSunshine Tue 09-Jun-09 21:33:42

What do you think of this house?

Do you think it will be a pain having the kitchen at the very back of the house & having to walk through the living room/diner to access it?

As I posted on another thread, I am wondering if the bedrooms are too small. Bedroom 2 & 3 would be kids rooms & bedroom 4 a study/drying washing room.

Thoughts please ladies.....

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Tue 09-Jun-09 21:36:35

You have to live there so it depends on how much you can put up with. I don't think anyone but you know's this. smile

LovingTheSunshine Tue 09-Jun-09 21:38:47

Mmm, it is very expensive. I hate house hunting!!! angry

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Tue 09-Jun-09 21:46:23

I like it but it sounds like you've made your mind up wink

Heated Tue 09-Jun-09 21:51:17

It's presented beautifully but looks a minimalist house - are you good at keeping clutter to a minimum?

The dc's bedrooms are small, especially the 9x8 - once the bed is in, is there room for wardrobe/drawers? As they got older you'd probably need a bed with clever use of storage underneath or even an elevated bunk with space underneath.

Don't personally think having the kitchen at the back is a problem.

Have you seen any other houses you like in the right location?

NeedaNewName Tue 09-Jun-09 21:51:53

Honestly - from what I can see it looks fab, but you have to live there not me

PaulaYatesBiggestFan Tue 09-Jun-09 21:54:06

i like it a lot but sniffs a bit of builder to me....

they hang their art too high on walls

apart from that nice and open plan

lisad123 Tue 09-Jun-09 21:55:12

lovely house and wonderful villasge

ohdearwhatamess Tue 09-Jun-09 22:03:16

The parking would bother me. Do you have more than one car? Where would you put the 2nd one? Where would visitors park?

Bit too open plan for my liking too.

Price seems a bit steep for what it is, imo (and I live in this part of the world).

runawayquickly Tue 09-Jun-09 22:06:38

Garden seems to have a block of flats at the end which would really bug me as too overlooked. Apart from that, looks lovely!

MaryMotherOfCheeses Tue 09-Jun-09 22:08:22

Depends on which you think will be your main room.

Basically it's a very large single room with a kitchen on one side and a playroom at the front. So not really a long way, is it?

LovingTheSunshine Tue 09-Jun-09 22:10:48

Heated - t's hard to say about clutter as we currenly live in a small house. Would need somewhere to hang up coats but hopefully there is room in the hallway. DS's current bedroom is less than 10'x7' but we have the clothes horse in there too (poor love) & I get fed up that he has virtualy no room to play with his toys. In the house I have linked to there is a family room that he could have as a playroom, which would be handy when we have kid #2. Not seen anything else in that location. Looked at another house the other end of town & put in an offer but we didn't get it.

Thanks everyone!

ToughDaddy Tue 09-Jun-09 22:13:32

I like already refurb Edwardians. Wooden floors are are a great start for example. It looks nice.

Parking needs consideration. Not sure what size/type garden you like but looks well suited to young kids.

Go with your gut feel but don't ignore any major niggles. Ensure that you both want it. It is still a buyers market by far altho' agents/papers talking up the market.

Godiva/Coventry BS is doing a tracker mortgage with a cap at 5.4pc. Trackers aren't that great but a cap is worth having just in case rates start going up

Ivykaty44 Tue 09-Jun-09 22:14:54

I wouldn't like to have to lugg all my supermarket shopping through all the rooms (I hate unpacking supermarket shopping) to get to the kitchen.

LovingTheSunshine Tue 09-Jun-09 22:16:54

ohdearwhatamess - we have just the one car & wouldn't need another as DH could walk to the train station - would take approx 15 mins. Visitors would have to park on the road, can't see that being a problem. Thanks

runawayquickly - it is houses at the end of the garden, looks to me that you'd have two houses that could see into the garden from the bedrooms. If we bought the house we would condsider putting in some sort of screening to give more privacy.

MaryMotherOfCheeses - would probably use the house as the current owners do. Putting it the way you do it does not seem too bad

ToughDaddy Tue 09-Jun-09 22:17:29

Recent sales on this street

Pannacotta Tue 09-Jun-09 22:18:22

It looks nice and ready to move into (a real bonus when you have DCs IMO) but the garden looks a bit narrow and overlooked...

ToughDaddy Tue 09-Jun-09 22:19:51

should be "RECENT trackers aren't as great as they used to be but a cap is worth having....

luvaduck Tue 09-Jun-09 22:22:04

I think it looks fab. great decor, period features, lovely open plan AND a play room.

I don't think it looks that pricey for what you get but then again have been looking in SW london , and central bath or oxford.

I'd buy it. i'm sure you could get it below 500 to avoid extra stamp duty.

LovingTheSunshine Tue 09-Jun-09 22:23:24

ToughDaddy - I like it but am put off by the small bedrooms 2-4. It is a good thing I am not crazy about it b/c then I will go to view it with a clear head. We viewed a house the other w/e & I wasn't head over heals with it beforehand but we came away really loving it, made an asking price offer (to match one already on the table ) but didn't get it as the other party were cash buyers whereas our buyers are in rented so we are slightly more risky. Thank you for the tip re the Godive?Coventry BS tracler mortgage, will tell DH as he is the financial guru grin

Heated Tue 09-Jun-09 22:30:16

Well it does looks lovely. Off-setting dcs' small bedroom with playroom a good idea.

Agree with lovaduck about trying to get it under 500k.

My only other Q is what does a similar, or even slightly bigger house, with less refurb done to it, go for or aren't there any on the market?

LovingTheSunshine Tue 09-Jun-09 22:31:18

ToughDaddy - thanks for that, I always check whst a property last sold for & it was £425k in Aug 2005 & I always check home values on Zoopla, which is showing £411,330. I know this area is expensive but I still think £525k is overpriced.

luvaduck - this area is expensive but I still feel it is overpriced when you take into account how small bedrooms 2-4 are. We think it is being marketed at £525k to get offers below £500k, nobody wants to pay the additional 1% SD. Good luck with your search

ToughDaddy Tue 09-Jun-09 22:34:45

Don't worry and don't get into bidding wars. The agents are very tricky. There is always another one. Also, prices will not suddenly run away from you given persistent high unemployment.

I think you need 35pc deposit for that Godiva mortgage. Not sure if it is still available but I used it a few weeks ago on rental property. Enjoy the hunt.

LovingTheSunshine Tue 09-Jun-09 22:36:40

Heated - houses here are ridiculously expensive. We have been looking to buy for a couple of years but only put our house on the market this year. Now we have sold we NEED to find somehting to avoid going into rented, although we would go into rented so as not to lose our buyers.

These houses are within a 5 min walk of the property

KathyBrown Tue 09-Jun-09 22:36:45

It's not very private at the back, is that really the best 1/2 a million buys in the area ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now