Advanced search

I need a very large metal sheet (1 1/2m by 2 m) that I can use as a memo board - any idea where I can get one?

(15 Posts)
SamVimesIsMyHero Tue 09-Jun-09 20:40:44

(Sorry, I've duplicated this thread in products,..didn't know where to put it) I've looked into magnetic paint but I want to put photos up on the wall held up by magnets and it doesn't sound like it is suitable for that. Any idea where I can get a large, thin sheet of metal I could screw to the wall and stick stuff on with magnets? Thanks.

Doodle2U Tue 09-Jun-09 20:41:55

Magnetic white board from Staples?

SamVimesIsMyHero Tue 09-Jun-09 21:16:18

I really want something very thin so it likes very close to the wall, that's why I like the idea of the paint <fussy> grinthis sort of thing but much bigger!

SamVimesIsMyHero Tue 09-Jun-09 21:16:39

the magnetic paint I meant

ABetaDad Tue 09-Jun-09 21:23:11

You probably need to go to a local Steel Stockholder who will cut it to size for you.

You need sheet steel if you want it to be make it magnetic.

They are usually listed in local telephone directories like Thompsons or Yellow Pages.

SamVimesIsMyHero Wed 10-Jun-09 16:46:30

AH! I hadn't thought of that. Thanks. smile

KatyMac Wed 10-Jun-09 17:02:42

Something like these

GrapefruitMoon Wed 10-Jun-09 17:06:01

How about a stainless steel splashback from a kitchen supplier - Ikea do one cheaply but probably not as big as you want

sazzlelou Wed 10-Jun-09 17:08:51

My OH?
He's a sheet metal worker

SamVimesIsMyHero Wed 10-Jun-09 21:56:17

KatyMac - yes but bigger! I will ring a steel stock holder I think when I pluck up the courage <harbours fear of sounding like big girly numpty when ringing hardened steel handling sorts asking for a piece of steel for a noticeboard> blush smile

SamVimesIsMyHero Wed 10-Jun-09 21:59:29

Do I just ask for a piece of sheet steel measuring 150cm by 200cm, is that what I want or is there a technical name?!

<goes back to tapestry>

KatyMac Wed 10-Jun-09 22:02:00

Have a look in B&Q they had door sized ones in mine

Plus you could look at splashbacks at the same time

SamVimesIsMyHero Wed 10-Jun-09 22:04:14

No B&Q near me but Wickes which I guess will have the same sort of thing. I will definitely look next time I am over there.

ABetaDad Thu 11-Jun-09 08:30:14

SamVimes - LOL "sounding like big girly numpty ".

The person who answers the phone will more than likely be a woman. I konw one who is the main sales person for the largest steel stockholder in our region.

Just ask for a narrow gauge piece of steel sheet and tell them exactly what you want to use if for. They may well advise something even better and offer to cut it for you, drill screw holes and offer appropriate fastenings sufficient to carry the weight.

Main point is it has to be magnetic so take some of the things you want to stick to it to make sure it works.

There are pieces of steel that are 'kick plates' you can buy to put on doors that get heavy use such as commercial kitchens that may also work.

SamVimesIsMyHero Thu 11-Jun-09 10:01:06

Thanks AbetaDad. I will ring <straps on ds's bob the builder tool belt and mans up> smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: