Talk

Advanced search

How to find out who owns a house?

(12 Posts)
differentID Sun 07-Jun-09 14:42:36

Hi, was wondering if anyone knows who I would need to get in touch with to find out who owns a particular property?
There is a house opposite me that is privately let, but I have never seen the owner. It has just been let again, and unfortunately I foresee trouble with the new tenant.
In case things do happen, I would like to be able to get in touch with the owner.
Can anyone help?

sagacious Sun 07-Jun-09 14:44:44

Land registry will have the details
You need to fill in a form costs about £5 iirc

differentID Sun 07-Jun-09 15:01:06

Thank you.

lalalonglegs Sun 07-Jun-09 15:04:05

Unfortunately, the LR may not give you the owner's current address, just the address in which he was living when he bought it. If this is the case and there was a lettings board, it may be worth contacting the estate agency to see if you can pass on your concerns via them to the owners.

differentID Sun 07-Jun-09 15:05:09

no- he just stuck a notice in the window.

you know when you get that sick feeling in the pit of your stomach? that's what I have.

lalalonglegs Sun 07-Jun-09 15:10:08

sad

differentID Sun 07-Jun-09 15:21:40

thanks though lala.

LIZS Sun 07-Jun-09 15:29:05

If he's local you may be able to track his name via the Electoral Roll

differentID Sun 07-Jun-09 15:30:30

thanks for everyone's suggestions. Will see to the land registry tomorrow- can't do the search thing on a Sunday.

Fizzylemonade Sun 07-Jun-09 21:50:37

If you ask ever so nicely, then usually your lovely Council Tax department should have the owners details on file.

They can't give you the details directly but they can and will forward a letter on to him/her.

I have done this several times for people, I would just say enclose the letter in a blank envelope with a stamp on and pop that inside a letter to us explaining that there is a problem with his/her property and could this letter be forwarded.

Agree with LIZS if they are local you may be able to track them on reg of elecs.

Next time that landlord sticks a sign in the window, get his details. Hindsight is marvellous isn't it grin

differentID Tue 09-Jun-09 19:49:28

absolutely brilliant.

So far , new tenant hasn't started anything- too busy getting it to rights I suppose.

mummygogo Tue 09-Jun-09 20:21:08

You can go to the Land Registry online and for £3 get details of the owner of the property etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now