Is the Estate Agent taking us for a ride?(12 Posts)
We have been waiting for four weeks for an answer to our improved offer on a house (our first offer was refused and we improved it at a second viewing above another offer which was never mentioned to us until the end of the viewing). The EA indicated that it was a strong offer as only 5% off asking price. Two weeks ago they called to say that because it's owned by an organisation, the committee needs time to decide if to accept our offer. This morning we called and were told the EA will ring us back on Monday. Within two hours there is an 'under offer' flag on rightmove and it is removed from other property sites. MY DP calls again and ask the EA what is going on and the man refuses to tell him and shouts at him, telling to f off and wait for Monday call. I don't know if I'm paranoid but it seems to me they a developer lined up and they might want to sell to them rather than us. If the other individual offering is a family like us, wouldn't they ask us to better the offer? We are chain free and they know we can proceed straight away. What do you think? I'm upset because there is no other house we like and can afford.
Do you know the name of the organisation selling the house? If so I would write/contact them and ensure they are aware of your offer as it does sound like the EA is trying to keep you out of the picture. If not, all you can really do is keep pestering the EA until you get a decent response. (but at him telling you t f off!!!)
He told you to f off? I'd go there and demand to speak to a manager. I would then report them to whatever body governs estate agents. I would also contact the 'group' directly, explain exactly what has happened and how the estate agent they have chosen to represent them is treating good buyers.
Am for you.
Sitting at home, a bit calmer now. We are really tempted to write to people dealing with sale (DP paid for info at land registry's site so we know who they are). We are also tempted to go to association of estate agents as they take complaints if unethical behaviour and can discipline their members.
But would it help us to alienate a major estate agent? Also forgot to mention that one of the owners was rude to us before we improved the offer, DP told the other owner and he was very polite subsequently, so not sure the managers are better behaved than their employees.
Awaiting Monday with bated breath. What are they going to tell us? If only there was another house, we saw lots and they are either awful and really overpriced or nice but incredibly priced, like there is a booming market there.
Read and weep
I have found other articles online about duplicity and unethical behaviour. It's even worse than you can imagine.
Definitely report them, how will things improve if they're allowed to get away with this sort of behaviour?
Write to the organisation and tell them what has happened in as unemotional way as possible (phone first and get name or MD or similar). Cc NAEA.
Update: Today they called us to say there is a higher offer that has been accepted just lower than asking price. Agent says, 'sorry should have you called you before'. Offer was accepted on Friday. We don't believe that.
We think they have a favoured buyer and there is something dodgy going on. We are not offering any more money and we are pissed off because they wasted our time and lied to us. We will keep an eye on what is going on with the house and what it will sell for, then see if we need to contact the seller (in case it sells for less we offered).
We are viewing houses tomorrow in another locality but as we rang to arrange viewings we have unearthed other devious behaviour... I'm fed up with these estate agents. I thought the London ones were sharp but they were 'honest' compared to those we have encountered so far.
If you are really interested in this house, I wouldn't wait until after the sale has completed and you find out the final price to complain to the organisation dealing with the sale. It's too late for you to get the house then! Also, the EA will probably tell you that the initial offer was higher but was subsequently reduced to below your level because of problems with survey or some such reason like that. The whole thing sounds dodgy and at the very least, the rude behaviour of the EA, may be putting off other potential purchasers. If it was my sale, I'd want to know.
We decided to let the house go. No house is worth that much aggravation. We will do something about the way we have been treated for sure. We have viewed a house in another location, which is cheaper and although less central has a garage, drive and bigger garden. There is lots of interest on it, but the estate agents seem to be more straightforward. They confirmed our offer in writing the next day (which the others never did) and gave us info re the other offers. The HIP pack was also very comprehensive and they printed one for us (it was several pages long) when we asked. Not many properties are coming onto the market, though. At worst, we might have to move away from here and rent there. We have been in rental for 10 months now (the last 5 knowing we want to relocate elsewhere). I'm really trying to fall in the trap of buying anything just to move on. We should know what happens with this house in two weeks max, which is the term they are keeping it on the market before making decision.
Move on, sharp practise is rife in the industry and you do not need the heart ache/hassell/being sworn at.
Join the discussion
Please login first.