Talk

Advanced search

People who live in garden flats and have children/........

(9 Posts)
IlanaK Thu 04-Jun-09 20:05:59

Do you have any problems with the neighbours when your kids are out playing? We are moving from a flat with no garden and are looking only at garden flats as I have three boys and they desperately need to be outside playing a lot of the day. But I wonder about the people in the flats above - do they complain? Do they have any right to complain about noise? How do you all find it?

Thanks!

IlanaK Thu 04-Jun-09 20:41:58

No-one on here lives in a garden flat??

SparkyUK Thu 04-Jun-09 21:35:10

Have only ever had (kind) complaints when grownups have stayed out late at night polishing off a few too many bottles of wine. Kids tend to play during the day when only our neighbours with kids are home anyway!

IlanaK Thu 04-Jun-09 21:38:21

Good point. Our kids would not be out before about 10am and not after about 6pm. So you think it would be ok if I left them out there all the time in between?? wink

notnowbernard Thu 04-Jun-09 21:43:33

We are in a garden flat

All our neighbours are nice. We all overlook each other though which is alright but means privacy is limited

They don't seem to mind the dds (and they play out a lot)

I do worry though, because the dds are seriously loud - I constantly have to tell them to keep it down a bit - but on the whole it works well

It feels a bit like a holiday camp commune at times... we can hear all our upstairs neighbours' bodily functions (pissing, sneezing, orgasming...)

poguemahone Thu 04-Jun-09 21:50:14

Before I had children I lived above a family in garden flat with 3dcs. I know they must have played out a lot but I never ever noticed the noise. Maybe because I was out at work all day? I was probably noisier than they were in the evenings (feeling guilty about that now).

ChildOfThe70s Tue 09-Jun-09 14:42:29

Same as NotNowBernard - I think people are generally tolerant of children playing. I only make them come inside if they are fighting/tantrumming!!

I think neighbours will be more bothered by night-time wakings - we can hear EVERYTHING our neighbour gets up to, and vice versa!

newmumof2 Wed 10-Jun-09 10:20:55

I would be more bothered about the neighbours above you as garden flats are usually conversions of big houses and soundproofing never that great!!

spicemonster Wed 10-Jun-09 10:26:10

I am in a garden flat and like others have said, I hear the neighbours upstairs more than they hear me I'm sure! No one's ever complained (although my neighbours upstairs did retreat when I had friends and 6 under 5s over the other Saturday afternoon).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now