Talk

Advanced search

more decorating help please?????

(9 Posts)
jetcat32 Thu 04-Jun-09 20:02:33

hi

now that i have finally decided on a paint colour for my sitting room, i am now moving onto the stairs.

i have this wallpaper already up in the hallway, and someone is coming to finish off on the actual stairwell next week. Would simple white satin paint be ok for woodwork - ie. would it match ok?

the big question though, am struggling with what to do with the window. The stairs double back on themselves, with the window on the half landing.Window is approx 50" wide by 48" drop. Just a really old net curtain there at the moment, as it looks out onto the road (not a busy road, but some passers by). And the curtain pole???

sorry for so many questions, i am just desparate to get this right lol!

NationalFlight Thu 04-Jun-09 20:04:21

I think a mid tone wooden blind would look fab, cedar wood is nice - you can even get them in Argos for about £40 or less. It'd look smart and be quite private while filtering the light.

NationalFlight Thu 04-Jun-09 20:04:53

White satin fine btwsmile

NationalFlight Thu 04-Jun-09 20:06:36

this would be good

or even a dark wood one. Whatever matches your other furniture.

jetcat32 Thu 04-Jun-09 20:16:49

thanks NF, didnt think of blinds lol! I have just moved here, and am starting again with furniture, so the only thing i have at the moment is a lovely oak sideboard which i got from ebay for £20!!! It is practically brand new, and i love it, so am trying to style around it. I have oak laminate (wanted real wood, but too pricey when whole house needs doing sad and the carpet on the stairs is a cream/beige with brown flecks (looks a lot nicer than it sounds lol!)

jetcat32 Thu 04-Jun-09 20:18:00

forgot to say, would it be best to put curtains up as well as the blinds? Not to use, but for effect IYKWIM

lalalonglegs Thu 04-Jun-09 20:53:31

I would leave it without curtains unless it creates a real draught and you want to block it during winter. A simple semi-translucent blind at the point where the bottom sash and top sash overlap works really well (on sash windows) because it will give you privacy but still let in lots of light and allow you to see out.

jetcat32 Thu 04-Jun-09 21:02:05

thanks lala - not a sash window sad

double glazed so no draughts, so will stick with no curtains.

i was originally thinking of getting something to pick out the black in the wallpaper, but think black blinds will be too dark. On the same token though, would cream blinds be too light???

Am liking the wood ones though......

Oh theres too many decisions lol!

jetcat32 Wed 24-Jun-09 07:24:21

now that decorators have finally finished the papering - i really have to decide on the window.

I really like these but not sure if they would go? Apparantly they dont block out all the light as they dont close fully, which would be ideal as i could leave them most of the way down and still see out the window!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now