Talk

Advanced search

how do i find out if a (current) loft conversion conforms to building regs

(4 Posts)
JackiePaper Wed 03-Jun-09 20:32:06

we've viewed a house that we really like, however the 4th bedroom is a loft conversion. before we make an offer i would like to double check that the loft conversion was built so that it conforms to building regs (i know they wouldn't have needed planning permission). How would i go about finding this out?
cheers x

BecauseImWorthIt Wed 03-Jun-09 20:34:59

Ask the vendors? And then once your offer is accepted it will be something that your solicitor will check.

LIZS Wed 03-Jun-09 20:39:05

Ask the surveyor to check it if youa re doubtful. They may or may not have needed permission but should have a certificate for buildings regs if it was passed. However, depending how long ago it was done it may or may not conform to current regulations.

If there is no certificate the vendor can either approach the council but run the risk of it being declined or you can agree to have an indemnity policy (as long as the council hasn't already been contacted) against future enforcement of regulations. That won't necessarily mean it meets them though.

lalalonglegs Wed 03-Jun-09 21:37:18

Do a search under their address at the LA's building control. As LIZS said though, the regs changed quite recently so it may well not conform to the latest requirements.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now