Talk

Advanced search

About to exchange - couple of dippy questions though...

(17 Posts)
ouchitreallyhurts Tue 02-Jun-09 14:57:43

Just spoken to EA who tells us that we are coming close to exchange - our buyers are back from holiday today and all the paperwork is pretty much inorder apart from a couple of stray documents that will be rounded up tomorrow.

I forgot to ask though, when should we receive the chattels (?) document? the one that tells us what the vendor will leave,take or sell.

also, on exchange day do we go to the solicitors office or is it done via post?

sorry, said they were dippy questions didnt' I!

rubyslippers Tue 02-Jun-09 15:07:34

you should have seen the chattels document - how can you exchange without knowing what they are taking and leaving?

Also, everything is done via email and post so on exchange day your solicitor will call you to let you know when it has happened

lalalonglegs Tue 02-Jun-09 16:01:51

You need to sign the contract (unless you have authorised the solicitor to do this on your behalf, in writing). It is usually signed a few days before exchange so everything is ready to go on day of exchange but, yes, you will need the fixture and fittings list finalised first.

ouchitreallyhurts Tue 02-Jun-09 16:10:50

Thank you - that's exactly what I thought! I have been on the phone to chase them up on it. there's not a lot left at the house anyway (they've even taken the blinking lightbulbs hmm )

thank you for your replies

ouchitreallyhurts Thu 04-Jun-09 14:04:30

well, we finally managed to get in touch with the solicitor. the list of fittings was something that she tells me she has there ready for when we go in to sign - ie. today.

she wanted all of us to go in to sign but that's not practicable so hubby has gone to collect paperwork and hand deliver back to her later.
I actually thought we'd already signed this contract...we certainly signed one early on in the proceedings..my brain is so addled from it all now!

Fizzylemonade Thu 04-Jun-09 16:19:21

We signed ours ahead of time and they just left the date blank. We did have a kick ass solicitor though grin

I am SO pleased for you ouch. Hopefully you have exchanged so that house is well and truly yours.

ouchitreallyhurts Thu 04-Jun-09 17:22:42

no exhange yet, still dithering here.

will NOT be using this solicitor again sadly (she was recommended as well)

have wad of paperwork that needs to be signed with a witness who's not family but we live int he middle of nowhere so are currently racking brains as to who to ask - I think the postman will be called in tomorrow!

thanks though Fizzy xx

Fizzylemonade Thu 04-Jun-09 20:59:05

No neighbours? No one down the local pub who knows you and you could a buy a pint for?????

Anyone at work???

<Fizzy desperately trying to find witness so you can get this house and breathe again>

ouchitreallyhurts Fri 05-Jun-09 07:43:02

My husband walked up and down the road and managed to persuade a passing neighbour (with the promise of free range eggs in return) so its signed, sealed and to be delivered today!! watch this space...!

Fizzylemonade Fri 05-Jun-09 15:43:52

I am glad you got it sorted, let us know if you are all set to go.

ouchitreallyhurts Fri 05-Jun-09 19:04:41

still no exchange and the house is still on the open market because its a relocation agency so yet another weekend of stress - gah!

Elibean Fri 05-Jun-09 21:32:14

ouch, I will wait with you: our exchange has also been held up (neighbours suddenly decided to announce plans to start excavating a basement, which we obviously had to disclose to our buyers, who now need plans etc hmm) so we are in limbo over the weekend.

Meanwhile, we can't commit to a rental, don't dare pack, or do anything else much - v frustrating! And yet the buyers want us out by the end of the month...shock

Fizzylemonade Sat 06-Jun-09 08:59:39

I think this is the point where you start imagining horrible things happening to those holding up the exhchange grin

No one is going to beat you to it ouch so just hang in there <Fizzy holds ouch's hand, passes her cup of tea, no wine, way too early>

ouchitreallyhurts Sat 06-Jun-09 09:30:06

Thank you Fizzy wink will enjoy the tea.

Elibean sorry to hear that, those last minute hitches are just horrible.

our buyer phoned me last night to say they are all systems go but its buyers solicitor who wants to do it at snail pace - they've not got time to sign contracts with teh bottom of the chain until Thursday next week (!)

ouchitreallyhurts Wed 10-Jun-09 08:19:25

Fizzy - any chance of that wine NOW!!! I don't care that its 8am, I need wine grinwe are still waiting to exchange. people at bottom of chain's solicitor couldnt' fit them into sign their bits of paper for a week - hence delay grrrrrrrrrr

Fizzylemonade Wed 10-Jun-09 13:39:16

<hands large glass of wine and plate of food, never good to drink on an empty stomach>

I am waiting for you to post a new thread with "we have exchanged" grin

The house will be yours, I have drawn a room plan of a house I haven't even viewed yet!!! I walk past it every day on the school run, mine is almost ready for the market. Just those pesky last few bits to do that seem to take forever, then I'll be posting about viewings grin

ouchitreallyhurts Wed 10-Jun-09 14:51:23

..and I will be on hand to support you with wine and food in return!

good luck with your buying/selling

more paperwork arrived today that needs witnessed signatures so we will be looking out for strangers to drag in later on grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now