Talk

Advanced search

Single Storey Extension

(3 Posts)
mystic01 Tue 02-Jun-09 14:10:06

Hi everyone.

Has anyone recently had a single storey extension built (roughly 6 mtrs X 4 mtrs)?

I need to get some quotes, but not sure where to start.

Many thanks.

KB71 Tue 02-Jun-09 17:13:47

Message withdrawn

KB71 Wed 03-Jun-09 18:11:56

Hi There,

Do you have architect plans and structural drawings? If not I suggest you do this first. You will need these if you are to get accurate quotes from builders. Also you will need to think about any specific electrics, lighting and fixtures and fttings that you want in the extension (although your architect will probably help and guide you on this). Once you have all that information pulled together you can brief the builders. A good start point is to ask friends and family for recommendations of good reliable builders. If that dosen't help look on your local community web site (if you have one) and look for recommendations of builders. In the current climate the more builders you can get to tender the better as some are struggling to find work so you might get a very good price. Give them a couple of weeks to come back to you with written quotes. Anyone who gives you a price on the spot is not to be trusted. Also please ask the builders for references and check them out! I would do this once you have 1 or 2 builders that have given you an acceptable quote. Then negotiate with the builders. Draw up a contract, this is very easy to do as you can buy a standard building contract off Amazon (I think!) and you fill it in with the builder. Or get the builder to supply the contract, but make sure it has enough detail in it. Things to include are specifics of the build and any fittings they are providing, payment schedule tied to delivery of key stages and potentially a financial penalty if they are late finishing. Before you start building you will need to submit a full plans building control application but your architect should take care of this for you. The fees for this can be up to £500 for the application and inspection fees, check your local council. Also I didn't mention planning permission but your architect will advise you if this is needed.
That is all I can think of for now. Let me know if you have any specific questions and I will do my best to answer. It seems like a big thing but it is a fairly straightforward process. You will be fine.

Katherine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now